Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve somehow managed to screw up the scope on my .44 and it will no longer hold a zero much less group. I know some of y’all pistol hunt so what scopes do you have on your hunting pistol?

·
Administrator
13,918 Posts
Never used a scope on a pistol, just red dots.
At one time I was using a Bushnell dot on my .44 mag, but it failed with the recoil. This was in the 90's and red dots were new while not being designed for that type of recoil.
Now there are models out there designed to take that abuse. For me I prefer the circle with a dot in the center reticle.

Reactions: Bullbuster

·
Super Moderator
10,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Never used a scope on a pistol, just red dots.
At one time I was using a Bushnell dot on my .44 mag, but it failed with the recoil. This was in the 90's and red dots were new while not being designed for that type of recoil.
Now there are models out there designed to take that abuse. For me I prefer the circle with a dot in the center reticle.
I've been told to go with a red dot site by several others as well. My issue is I've got a shoulder rig for a scoped gun and a dot wont fit it. What dot are you running?

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
I'm partial to the Aimpoint red dots. It's what came on our M-4's and they have the smallest dot that I've been able to find. And they run off of a single AA battery for like a year.

Reactions: Bullbuster

·
Administrator
13,918 Posts
I'm running irons on my Super Redhawk currently. They do make chest holsters that accommodate dots or scopes.

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
My last two scopes have been Vortex and I'm pretty impressed with them.

Reactions: kwaynem

·
Super Moderator
10,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My last two scopes have been Vortex and I'm pretty impressed with them.
I’ve got 2 Vortex as well. One on the Howa 270 and the other going on the 6.5 CM.

Reactions: kwaynem

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I like mine a lot I have a Nikon on my 6.5 creedmoor but when I get the chance and the grandsons don’t need anything I’m buying a vortex for it

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Pistol scopes are comparing apples and oranges to rifle scopes imo. .444 Marlin and .45-70 in my Encore, 7mm-08 in a Lone Eagle and a .454 Casull in a Ruger Redhawk and I lost count on how many red dots, Bushnells, Nikons and Burris Scopes failed. From not holding zero to actually physically coming apart. Leupold and T/C are the only two that have lasted.

·
Super Moderator
10,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Everyone is crazy about vortex right now. Whats the deal?
I’d never owned one before. When I made a deal on my empty storage unit for the Diamondback, non-tactical, I didn’t know much about them. Put it on the 270 and it did well. This new one, the Viper, my other son bought himself for his 6.5. Plus it was on sale.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Scopes are something essential in hunting. It helps to spend less ammo on hunting session. I can't imagine going hunting with a scope. I am not a good shooter. This is why I am using different scopes. Usually, I am using the night vision scope. Hunting at night is a lot easier. Animals are not so secure, and they also can't see you. You have more time to aim and take a shot. Many people say that this is not interesting at all, shooting such a way, but in my opinion, hunting is hunting no matter at what time of the day.

·
Administrator
13,918 Posts
Welcome to Oklahoma Hunter Tracygaug

1 - 15 of 15 Posts