Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 weeks before season, they were gobbling their heads off! The weekend before season, same thing! The evening before season opened, I went out to do a little scouting, and saw quite a few tracks, scat, and a single hen walking around on the pasture trail.

I have not seen, nor heard anything from turkeys since then. Not a single early morning gobble, no fresh tracks, or scat!!!! It's like they just completely disappeared.

·
Administrator
14,067 Posts
Henned up right now. My buddy just spent three days at Elreno turkey hunting, seeing tons of turkey, but they wouldn't leave the hens.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Weather & the fires got them all messed up.
Yet their still around, you just got to wait them out & by mid morning to early afternoon their on the move & looking for that lonely hen.
Go in and sit down & call in the early morning.no response -stay put Boss Tom will come look for you later that morning or early afternoon.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I barely have that kind of time to devote to it, but my wife saw a lone hen yesterday in the lot behind the house. Good sign indeed! ;)

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Absolutely nothing is working!! Where did they all go?? Season is almost closed and I can't devote a whole lot of time to hunting, just a little time on Saturdays and Tue and Thu evenings when I get home from work. Still not hearing or seeing anything, including tracks or scat now.

·
Administrator
14,067 Posts
Same here. Normally we hear them gobbling at the house Every evening. This year it's nothing

·
Super Moderator
11,027 Posts
Then I don't feel so bad for not getting to go.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, right now you're not missing anything!

·
Administrator
14,067 Posts
Looks like I'll get to turkey hunt Sunday if the weather keeps looking like the forcast. I'm shooting a match on Saturday.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Well, as Dennis knows there are normally a lot of Turkeys within a half mile of my house. I live close to the Black Bear creek bottom and my favorite morning is setting outside drinking coffee and listening to the gobbling as it breaks daylight..I was hearing lots of turkeys up until the youth hunt..I don't think I've heard a turkey since..have no idea where they went..

·
Super Moderator
11,027 Posts
The Chupacabra got'm all.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Finally a little glimmer of hope. A friend of mine yesterday shot a nice tom with a double beard in Seminole maybe an hour before sunset. He weighed it on a 25 lb fish scale and it bottomed out, so he doesn't have an accurate weight, but it's a good one! Since that isn't too far from me, this weekend might be pretty good!

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
And 50mph winds don't help much either!

·
Administrator
14,067 Posts
Sasakwa
and I discussed this the other day. We talked about other turkey hunters that were very sucessful over the years.
The consesus was that maybe the best time to go out was in the afternoon?

The toms were tired of chasing the hens, and might come to a call?? Don't know for sure, just putting something out there.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
All I know is that I hunted practically all day on Saturday, and only heard a single hen. Never saw a thing!!

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
I've always thought that toms were easier to call in after the hens were on the nest and later in the day after the real yelps went elsewhere. Almost reminds me of my younger days at closing time at the bar.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts