Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I was at our rental house doing some touch up painting. I stepped out in the garage and saw the old man across the street tossing salt out in his driveway. Mind you he's like 87 and a retired Air Force Colonel and he lives alone. So I figured what the hell I'd go offer to shovel his drive for him. I tell him I'll do it free of charge after he asked me how much. Told him that's what neighbors are for. He said OK but we would have to argue more about it when I was done.

The only shovel I could get my hands on was a short handle garden shovel. The snow was like powder so I figured it would be a quick job even with the 1-3' of snow piled up. BOY WAS I WRONG. Under all that snow was 1-2" of solid ice. I had to use a hammer to break it up. I fell several times on the ice.

About 1.5 hours into it I'm thinking what the hell did I get myself into and saying I'd do it Pro Bono. Well about 2 hours and change later his drive and sidewalk to his berried front door was all cleared of snow and all but the toughest of ice patches.

The old man comes out and hands me a big box of salt and asks if he should put it out as well. I look and its icecream machine salt. I figured what the heck why not so I put the whole 5lb box out.

He asks me to come inside so we can talk about payment. Again I said no charge as I was just helping him out. He had some good smelling coffee going and I said a cup of coffee would be a fine payment. He game me the best darn cup of coffee I have ever had hands down. I had 4 cups in all and we talked for an hour about military life, how much we both disliked a certain person in office, women, and everything else he could think of.

I said I needed to get going and thanks for the coffee and talk. He pulls out a fist full of cash and says 'My eyes ain't so good son, count this for me". I counted out $100 aloud to him and hand it back. At which point he said keep it for my hard work. I told him a hundred bucks you got to be kidding me. I can't take it. At this point he straightens up and says "Son I'm a retired full bird colonel of the United States Air force. I'm ordering you to take that money." I tell him its too much. He snapped back, take it and that's that you don't want to piss this old man off.

I told him fine, but I wasn't happy about it. He said give it to my wife she would be, with a smile and a laugh.

I had another cup of coffee and headed back across the street.
I must say I never would have in a million years expected such a generous payment from him. My wife about pood herself when i told her. I hope it snows again as I got more bills to pay. I could also use a chiropractor.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Well Bull...sounds to me like what my ole Daddy use to say came true...Nice things happen to people who do nice things ..especially when they do it and don't expect anything in return...I'm glad you dug out the Old Mans drive and I'm even more glad you let him pay you...I'm betting it made him feel good also...Merry Christmas :) :)

·
Super Moderator
11,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I talked to him today as he called to find out how the road conditions are. I told him more snow is expected and I'd come dig him out if it was needed. He said fine and he'd have some coffee ready for me.

I must say I do really enjoy hearing stories from retired military for yester year. I'll never forget when I was at Chicago's airport right after I graduated boot camp and was stopped an old guy who wanted to shake my hand for defending our country. It was the first time that ever happend to me. I was even more shocked to find out he had been in WWI and was like 102 at the time he stopped me back on Feb 14, 1998.

·
Administrator
14,060 Posts
Congrats on helping the neighbor. Your a good man.
It always does me good when I see others helping those that need help in times like this or the past ice storms/ tornado's/floods. Neighbors helping neighbors, and people helping people. Thats what its all about. Same we can't do it more where there is not a crisis.

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
Big cudos to ya Bull, sounds like you just made a new friend in the process. That'll be the best payment out of the whole deal.

·
Super Moderator
11,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've done all sorts of charity work growing up and such. But I can't really put in words the feeling I get from it. I've never been one for saying the right thing and saying how I feel about things. I guess I use my actions more than anything to show my thanks for the things people have done for me as well.

I have been blessed with the kind hand of others in my life in many way's. Some of you on here have taught me so many things as well. Opened up your home to me and my family. For that a thank you just doesn't seem to be enough in my book. I guess for me a thank you is more than enough for the things I've done, but I can't seem to feel content at showing my thanks for thing others have done for me. Nothing I do or say just seems to be enough in showing my gratitude. Sorry for the heart felt ramblings. I'm just in one of them moods tonight.

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
Well deserved, my man, well deserved.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts