Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been doing some research on mineral licks/salt licks just curious if anyone has any brands/products they recommend. I know there is a lot of aspects that go into picking one.

·
Administrator
14,051 Posts
I’ve tried several from salt blocks, to mineral blocks to some of the commercial stuff. The deer in my area must get enough minerals in their diet that they don’t crave any supplements I’ve put out.
Buddy about 25 miles away puts out deer cocaine every spring. The deer tear up the ground where it’s at.
So I guess the answer is to try everything and see what they like.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I use trophy rock, I go thru 6 or 7 per year. Bucks and does use them. I think it has helped horn growth. Most of the bucks we would see before using them were 80 to 125 inch. Now we see 125 to 145 inch.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I mix my own and the deer love it. I use 2 50lb bags of salt 1 50lb bag of mineral and 1 50lb bag of dicalcium phosphate. You can pick it all up at the feed store for cheap and only have to replenish every 6 months. Just clear a spot and turn it all in the dirt together. This time of year my cameras on my mineral sites are full of bick pics.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I put out a few trophy rocks and a few mineral licks different brands. I guess we will see. One is set up on a cell cam been a week with no takers yet but its a new spot might take a little time for them to find it.

·
Registered
720 Posts
It took a year and half before my deer used the rocks. I put corn and other things around the rock and still took that long to use it. So don't get disappointed if they don't jump on it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It took a year and half before my deer used the rocks. I put corn and other things around the rock and still took that long to use it. So don't get disappointed if they don't jump on it.

Ya I’m not too worried about it. Just gonna let it ride and see what happens

·
Registered
94 Posts
I need to give this a shot . . . just to test the waters so to speak.

Knowing my luck it'll just bring in the hogs . . .

·
Registered
1,088 Posts

Yeah, I've seen hogs turn an apple block into powder after one night...glad it wasn't my money down the drain.

·
Administrator
14,051 Posts
There are some really nice bucks there!

·
Super Moderator
10,999 Posts
Do the sprinkles on donuts count as a mineral to be licked? I’ve got almost 300 pounds of donuts in the freezer and some with sprinkles for the bears to lick.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts

We have some country down around the little town of Avant. It is rougher than the hubs of Hell, we have some cows on it that I would call “low maintenance “. It’s too far from our main ranch to drive down there and feed every day so we started putting out the protein blocks. I think the weigh around 150# and in a normal situation they will last awhile. My brother put them out down there one day last winter and I happened to be going to Tulsa 3 days later and stopped by just check the cows. The protein tubs were gone. I found the round bottom of one of the plastic tubs they come in and that was it. Damn hogs found them and went into all you can eat smorgasbord mode plastic and all. They did well on that 33% molasses mix. Brother ended up killing a few large ones. I’ll try to find the picture.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
We have some country down around the little town of Avant. It is rougher than the hubs of Hell, we have some cows on it that I would call “low maintenance “. It’s too far from our main ranch to drive down there and feed every day so we started putting out the protein blocks. I think the weigh around 150# and in a normal situation they will last awhile. My brother put them out down there one day last winter and I happened to be going to Tulsa 3 days later and stopped by just check the cows. The protein tubs were gone. I found the round bottom of one of the plastic tubs they come in and that was it. Damn hogs found them and went into all you can eat smorgasbord mode plastic and all. They did well on that 33% molasses mix. Brother ended up killing a few large ones. I’ll try to find the picture.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
324 Posts
I had went last friday up north to pull cameras and do some work and I hadn't been at it too long and got really sick really fast. Only got one of my cameras checked over my mineral site. Anyway got home and kept getting worse. By Saturday I had quarantined from my family. Talked my self in to getting a covid test Sunday because I felt like shit and figured it could only be that. Came back positive. It has been a miserable week so far. It's like a really bad flu. At least for me anyway.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I had went last friday up north to pull cameras and do some work and I hadn't been at it too long and got really sick really fast. Only got one of my cameras checked over my mineral site. Anyway got home and kept getting worse. By Saturday I had quarantined from my family. Talked my self in to getting a covid test Sunday because I felt like shit and figured it could only be that. Came back positive. It has been a miserable week so far. It's like a really bad flu. At least for me anyway.
Damn. That's definetly not good. Hope the best for you!

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
14,051 Posts
That sucks. Hoping for a fast recovery. How long did it take to get the results of your covid test?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts