Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner

Mineral licks

5K views 50 replies 13 participants last post by  dennishoddy 
#1 ·
Been doing some research on mineral licks/salt licks just curious if anyone has any brands/products they recommend. I know there is a lot of aspects that go into picking one.

#2 ·
I’ve tried several from salt blocks, to mineral blocks to some of the commercial stuff. The deer in my area must get enough minerals in their diet that they don’t crave any supplements I’ve put out.
Buddy about 25 miles away puts out deer cocaine every spring. The deer tear up the ground where it’s at.
So I guess the answer is to try everything and see what they like.

#14 ·
Do the sprinkles on donuts count as a mineral to be licked? I’ve got almost 300 pounds of donuts in the freezer and some with sprinkles for the bears to lick.

#17 ·
I had went last friday up north to pull cameras and do some work and I hadn't been at it too long and got really sick really fast. Only got one of my cameras checked over my mineral site. Anyway got home and kept getting worse. By Saturday I had quarantined from my family. Talked my self in to getting a covid test Sunday because I felt like shit and figured it could only be that. Came back positive. It has been a miserable week so far. It's like a really bad flu. At least for me anyway.

#22 ·
You probably know what I mean when I call it the Hubs of Hell. Government bought all of our land to put in the Candy Creek reservoir and never went through with the project. Then they offered the original landowners the first right to but it back for pennies on the dollar. After buying the cheapest land that We ever bought it did nothing but cost us money for the next 10 years. All the fences had to be replaced, took lots of brush, tree and weed management. Not only pasture weeds but pot weeds. Had a couple of Mexican gentleman squatting down in the bottom of Candy Creek growing pot. They had a big tent with a wooden cable spool sitting in the middle of it with a window unit A/C on top with an extension cord running to a little Honda generator about 250 feet away. That was some funny s@#t to see. Don’t know if they ever did catch them. Last time someone saw them they were running west across the road towards some of Raspberry country or the Johnson Brothers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#26 ·
I rode up on it horseback. No one was there and after seeing how much pot they had growing I was thinking booby trap or trip wires. Then for a brief moment thoughts of taking it all, selling it, identity change with some plastic surgery, opening up a Swiss bank account and vanishing off the face of the earth crossed my mind, but only for a brief moment. Called the sheriff and left it at that. They ended up spooking them and they took off on foot through the blackjacks, sandstones and copperheads. I’m not sure if they ever did catch them. I promise you if I had to decide whether to run through that rough country or surrender the choice would be easy. I’d wearing soap on a rope from that day forward.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#27 ·
Hahaha rough stuff huh
Hate that folks want to treszpass so much. What would the mexican hunters do you ran off kwaynem?
I had a homeless guy set up a tent in my woods two years ago this is in the middle of nowhere dont know how he ever got back there or why he picked my woods he had old fence stretxhed out bout 8in off the ground in places. Found where he hid his bike and i relocated it (not stealing) never caught him in person seemed like he always left just before i got there. Went on for about a week then he was gone and so were my days of going in those woods without a bang stick

#30 ·
I think there was a big dispute over the oil wells and pipelines in the area. Tribe didn’t want to loose the oil revenue and sued.
If I remember right, the tribe prevailed in court and the project was dropped.

#36 ·
With the directional drilling technology we currently have available I’d like to see that project revisited. They could cap the existing wells, and drill right back into the oil reserves from a couple miles away.

Reactions: kwaynem
#33 ·
Dennis is right about the Osage’s and their oil bear sits in the woods they knew they were in the wrong when I caught them one kept asking me where he could buy a automatic 30-30 I told him I had no idea and pointed him back across the fence. My brother in law and me we’re running his beagles in there one time and a truck pulling a boat pulled down a dirt path and stopped and asked us where the candy creek landing was my bil chuckled and said your here they both looked at us like we we’re crazy and left

#35 ·
Amazing. Have a friend with what he thinks is Covid. His tests are more than a week out with no results.

#49 ·
I'll double that. The covid is really bad for some, not so bad for others. Hoping it's mild for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.