Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Toyota
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It's very hard. It's not for the poor man. It's not for people out of shape. It's not for the lazy. It might even be for the crazy!! It's not for everybody, his dog, his brother and his brother's dog. It's certainly no Saturday walk in the park as it is for a Plains State whitetail doe or buck. Who here has been on a guided moose or elk hunt? Who rode horseback or mule pursuing His Majesty? I've found this fascinating video series by Mr. Gun Blue 490 of New Hampshire. It's worth the while to watch to see how impossible this sport really can be.

PS - If money is no object, can one hunt moose or elk by helicopter? How about riding along in some powered vehicle so as not to die of a heart attack or an asthma attack? On African safari, taking a cruise across the savannah by Land Rover lead by a PH was the thing back in the day.

·
Administrator
14,527 Posts
Elk and moose hunting can be for anybody.
People in their 30’s don’t have the physical ability to go often them on foot while those of us in their late 60’s are still in the mountains taking elk every year.
Age has nothing to do with it.

·
Registered
Toyota
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Age notwithstanding, some people could hack it on horseback whereby they could not otherwise hack it on foot. I have athsma, heart palpitations and arthritis. My body at age 57 is not likely a candidate for a high-altitude hunt on foot. This kind of hunting is also probably out of the question for those on social security. I certainly would never pee away all my life savings on one moose or elk hunt. One could hack it on horseback or mule if one has some experience horseback or mule ridng. A greenhorn in the saddle for the sole purpose of a guided hunt, I've been told, can get very miserable quick. Those horse saddles don't have big automobile driver seat comfort.

·
Registered
Toyota
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you pay $10K+ for a guided elk or moose hunt, the labor of getting the animal out of the field will be provided. If you got big money, they have strong hands. Some old pharts can still handle getting a little whitetail doe out of the field without suffering a heart attack. Deer are generally hunted at lower altitudes anyway and on flat land. Oklahoma is generally flat. The tree stand or ground blind might not be more than 2 football fields from where the truck is parked. I suppose one can hire some boy as a deer-dragger for a greenback Jackson.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Please don't confuse shooting and hunting. Helicopter? Really? Just trolling for conflict aren't ya? Even if on SS, anything is possible. I had a hunting property in CO for elk for many years. Flat land walk to a tree stand maybe 1/2 mile. Lease, non-res tag, expenses including gas from OK and hotel, processor, etc...less than $2K. Get animal out with ATV or use farmer's tractor. AND, where you gonna find a boy to drag out a deer for $20? Is there an online listing for young men/boys in each city/state so just call and ask to send one to your location?

Sorry but I can't join in your pity party as I think that table only has seating for one on this website!

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Yeah I don’t know that I would even google a website for boys or young men seems like to me that would get you on a list someplace!
I’ve been getting deer out with a riding mower in thick woods it don’t take much just a little want to and creative thinking look at smokewagons deer cart.
Heck when I’m low on cash I put costume antlers on the Beagle and get my sons Nerf gun, she’s just as difficult to hunt as a whitetail even over the food pile I know she visits frequently and she’s as hard to hit as a bat around a pole light.

·
Super Moderator
11,573 Posts
I hunted elk with a 78 year old man this past fall than ran circles around my 15 year old son and I. I struggled with a 75# pack while his was easily over 100#. We had to climb 1k vertical feet while covering about 1/2 mile on a horizontal plain. No horses or mules used on this pack out YET we had them available. In fact our camp was the only camp in the entire area that even have horse or mules available. Moose were also present in this same area and we ran into to moose hunters as well.
Anyone can hunt any animal. For the sake of this OP were talking elk and moose. You don’t have to spend $10k to do so. If you have the money to do so then fine and dandy. It’s your money and your decision to spend it how you see fit.
To my knowledge, TX is the only state that allows any form of hunting from a helicopter and that’s for hogs only.
I’m 43 years old and I’ll use whatever means I have at my disposal to pursue and take game so long as its in a legal and lawful manner. If someone else who doesn’t have those means who is hunting the same area and same game and me and my buddies feels jealous or offended by it too bad.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts