Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sitting here, getting rained on and watching the creek flood. I figured I'd post the last 50 kills that I've made with the Grendel and SPC in another comparison video. Last time it was 20 kills each with factory Hornady SST ammo, and the results were surprisingly even. This time...it was still surprisingly even...go figure.

I love the heated debates over the two cartridges when it comes to killing. Everyone has a unique tale, and everyone is an expert (without using the other cartridge). I do believe that the Grendel is a better choice for target shooting, and the SPC offers more durability in the bolt...but otherwise it's a wash.

Did some fancy editing while I was at it to make me look like a better shot too.:)

·
Administrator
13,918 Posts
Great video as usual. I also watched your video on the Barnes TTSX. That is my go to bullet for elk in 30-06. In the 10 or so elk I've killed, there has only been one bullet recovery, and they didn't run.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great video as usual. I also watched your video on the Barnes TTSX. That is my go to bullet for elk in 30-06. In the 10 or so elk I've killed, there has only been one bullet recovery, and they didn't run.
I bet that a 168 or 180 TTSX would be a pretty good killer for elk with an '06.

I've got a few hundred 130gr TTSX for my .308. They shoot pretty flat and fast. Figured at some point I'd try out 100 of them on hogs.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great video as I expected
Thank you. This lays the groundwork for a comparison against cheap .308 soft points. I bought about 1,500 or so a couple years ago if various kinds back when you could get them for 25-30 cents each. I still have ~60 or so more 6.8 rounds to go, and at this pace it'll take another year. I did shoot a skunk, armadillo, and feral cat the other night, so I'll get there someday.

·
Super Moderator
10,833 Posts
I may have to get you -06 recipe

·
Administrator
13,918 Posts
I may have to get you -06 recipe
I can get you in the ballpark but you will have to see what’s the most accurate in your rifle.
Great thing about reloading is that you have the capability to tune your load to an individual rifle.

Reactions: Bullbuster

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
Very good video, but I can tell you without hesitation that the 6.8SPC is the best. Because I have one and have never shot a 6.5, so.... :geek: . It's like the Ford vs Chevy debate or blonde vs brunettes. It's what you like, what you shoot better and more than likely what you happen to have in your gun rack that you think is better.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Very good video, but I can tell you without hesitation that the 6.8SPC is the best. Because I have one and have never shot a 6.5, so.... :geek: . It's like the Ford vs Chevy debate or blonde vs brunettes. It's what you like, what you shoot better and more than likely what you happen to have in your gun rack that you think is better.
I know you jest in your first two sentences...but there are a lot of guys who make the same comment with complete sincerity.

Between that and guys treating me like an idiot over how to load for the 6.8, I keep my interaction on the 6.8 forums to a minimum. [Background on the loading: im running into pressure signs two grains before some of them do with AA2200. All I need to do is seat the bullet out .035" more and I can somehow fit the powder in there.]. It definitely isn't because I'm running a tighter chamber, or using virgin brass...I'm just not not seating the bullet out .035" enough :rolleyes:.

However I can definitely see why both cartridges have a loyal following. Quite a bit of jump in performance over the 5.56 in a small frame AR, while also offering good magazine capacity and decent trajectory.

Keep slaying them with your 6.8.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
So, I haven't watched the video yet and I have no experience with the spc. However, I've owned three different 6.5 Grendel's. Here's a story:.

I was shooting a 16" Grendel shooting 123gr Hornady ELD match bullets. This shot 1.5" at 200 yards with a cheap thermal, phenomenal performance. We went hog hunting one Friday and Saturday night. Every hog I shot cleared the field, never saw one drop. I got super discouraged. We got into the hogs thick too, I shot probably 100-200 rounds that weekend. So Sunday morning as I was leaving, driving down the property lines where we shot and I saw TONS of buzzards. We hunted 6 square miles at the time with one owner having two linear miles along the road.

Monday morning my buddy called and said he talked to the property owner who was going to cut his hay fields. He said "you guys left a lot of damn speed bumps in my field". I was like "What?!". Evidently, after some thinking, long story short, everything I shot died. It just took it running to the back side of the AG fields to drop. We killed 75 of roughly 100-115 hogs we shot at in two nights.

I never had that kind of success rate with the 300blk or 7.62x39 regardless of what ammo I shot. 300bo is still my favorite pig killer hands down. I've killed HUNDREDS of pigs with it. I just like it, can't say why.

All that said, if this AR-15 witch hunt nonsense cools off and 6.5 Grendel becomes cheaper and more widely available, I'd get another Grendel for hunting without question. Incredibly accurate and deadly.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So, I haven't watched the video yet and I have no experience with the spc. However, I've owned three different 6.5 Grendel's. Here's a story:.

I was shooting a 16" Grendel shooting 123gr Hornady ELD match bullets. This shot 1.5" at 200 yards with a cheap thermal, phenomenal performance. We went hog hunting one Friday and Saturday night. Every hog I shot cleared the field, never saw one drop. I got super discouraged. We got into the hogs thick too, I shot probably 100-200 rounds that weekend. So Sunday morning as I was leaving, driving down the property lines where we shot and I saw TONS of buzzards. We hunted 6 square miles at the time with one owner having two linear miles along the road.

Monday morning my buddy called and said he talked to the property owner who was going to cut his hay fields. He said "you guys left a lot of damn speed bumps in my field". I was like "What?!". Evidently, after some thinking, long story short, everything I shot died. It just took it running to the back side of the AG fields to drop. We killed 75 of roughly 100-115 hogs we shot at in two nights.

I never had that kind of success rate with the 300blk or 7.62x39 regardless of what ammo I shot. 300bo is still my favorite pig killer hands down. I've killed HUNDREDS of pigs with it. I just like it, can't say why.

All that said, if this AR-15 witch hunt nonsense cools off and 6.5 Grendel becomes cheaper and more widely available, I'd get another Grendel for hunting without question. Incredibly accurate and deadly.
The "probmem" with ELD Match bullets isn't that they don't kill...its just they aren't as predictable as a good dedicated hunting bullet.

To summarize the video: Really no difference between the Grendel or SPC. I'll save you 10 minutes of your life :D .

Since I make crappy hog hunting videos I can't afford to lose most of what I hit. There are tons of people out there just waiting to make ethical hunting comments directed at you. I stay away from match bullets...and ironically bonded hunting bullets for this reason. They both kill well, but may take 100 yards to do so if you don't hit the CNS. Out here, 100 yards usually puts the hogs 50 yards into thick cover.

·
Administrator
13,918 Posts
The "problem" with ELD Match bullets isn't that they don't kill...its just they aren't as predictable as a good dedicated hunting bullet.

To summarize the video: Really no difference between the Grendel or SPC. I'll save you 10 minutes of your life :D .

Since I make crappy hog hunting videos I can't afford to lose most of what I hit. There are tons of people out there just waiting to make ethical hunting comments directed at you. I stay away from match bullets...and ironically bonded hunting bullets for this reason. They both kill well, but may take 100 yards to do so if you don't hit the CNS. Out here, 100 yards usually puts the hogs 50 yards into thick cover.
I'm a huge fan of Sierra 165 grain BTHP game king bullets in 30-06 for whitetail. I've shot so many deer I don't remember how many but have kept track of the different bullets I've shot over the years since 1980 when taking the first as I've done an autopsy on every one shot. The game king HP turns the innards into jelly no matter where you hit in the heart/lung area. Typically takes out the liver as well with the hydrostatic shock of that bullet passing through. It's devastating carnage with the animal dropping within 25 yards or just dropping.

The Sierra 165 Match king goes in and out leaving a round hole. It kills them but not quickly. Its a target bullet, not a hunting bullet.
The same with every other bullet I've tried from soft point to spire point, to every other point. They create some damage inside that kills the deer but they run off for awhile.
Death is caused by the loss of blood to the brain, so it stands to reason that the more massive blood loss one can incur on an animal the quicker they will die.

·
Super Moderator
10,833 Posts
I'm a huge fan of Sierra 165 grain BTHP game king bullets in 30-06 for whitetail. I've shot so many deer I don't remember how many but have kept track of the different bullets I've shot over the years since 1980 when taking the first as I've done an autopsy on every one shot. The game king HP turns the innards into jelly no matter where you hit in the heart/lung area. Typically takes out the liver as well with the hydrostatic shock of that bullet passing through. It's devastating carnage with the animal dropping within 25 yards or just dropping.

The Sierra 165 Match king goes in and out leaving a round hole. It kills them but not quickly. Its a target bullet, not a hunting bullet.
The same with every other bullet I've tried from soft point to spire point, to every other point. They create some damage inside that kills the deer but they run off for awhile.
Death is caused by the loss of blood to the brain, so it stands to reason that the more massive blood loss one can incur on an animal the quicker they will die.
Since my oldest boy has a 30-06 and he practices out to 1k yards with it I will look into those BTHP especially since he will be using it on elk and mule deer.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

From my experience, the 165gr Nosler BT does the same. I've had pass throughs, but the bullet grenaded so much on the inside that the blood from the exit wasn't great. Fortunately the deer never make it far as the inside of the chest cavity looks like raspberry soup. It is my least favorite bullet for field dressing deer...and thats why I'll continue to use it...that and my "deer" .308 (a police sniper trade in from NC) shoots it like a laser. 5 shots below.

20210505_161206.jpg

20191204_151302.jpg

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Since my oldest boy has a 30-06 and he practices out to 1k yards with it I will look into those BTHP especially since he will be using it on elk and mule deer.
I might look a little harder at a bullet that was just a bit tougher for elk the Game Kings are still cup and core last time I checked, so will not hold together as well as a bonded bullet. When you need less than a foot of penetration to hit all the vitals it isn't as important...but obviously when you need twice that distance...

Finding anything right now is pretty hard. I did luck out and score a bunch of .308/150gr SST the other day...but that will be for hogs out of an AR.

Best of luck to you and your son.

·
Super Moderator
10,833 Posts
Curious as to the drop at 1000 yard with 30-06.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
He has a Nikon with a BDC. Not sure which one it is. He bought it and mounted it himself. He killed this goat @ like 748y with a factory Rem Core-Lokt 150g PSP.

·
Administrator
13,918 Posts
It's not a bullet you want to use for elk. The explosive expansion is great for deer, not so much for elk. Will it kill one, Yes.
Are there better bullets for elk, yes.
For elk, and I've killed 10 I think, the Barnes 165 grain TTSX is the ticket. My last elk was at 590 yards with a complete pass through. She dropped in her tracks.

Reactions: Bullbuster

·
Administrator
13,918 Posts
Curious as to the drop at 1000 yard with 30-06.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
This chart is with Iron sights right out of the muzzle.
If one uses a scope with a 100 or 200 yard zero, the drop is much less.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
^ That chart is pretty darn close. With a .308 (atmospherics depending...i.e. elevation, pressure, temp) you are in the 390-410" of drop at 1K yards with a 175gr SMK.

When I used to compete in service rifle matches I had the opportunity to go to Quantico and shoot on their Range 4 several times. All service members were required to use either a .308 or 5.56...and the vast majority used 5.56 with Iron sights, and the 80gr SMK at the 1K yard line.

Seeing the bullet trace start out 20' into the trees that were on top of the berm...disappear at about the 500 yard mark as it was just coming down...and then seeing the target go down and come back up with a hit in the 10 ring was pretty impressive. You're talking in the neighborhood of 33 feet of drop.

One day we had to shoot in a 20+MPH full value crosswind. I think we were shooting 140ish inches of wind drift. The bullet was literally starting at the far edge of the 6' target NEXT to yours and drifting back in. 33 feet of drop...12 feet of drift.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts