Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Administrator
13,910 Posts
^ That chart is pretty darn close. With a .308 (atmospherics depending...i.e. elevation, pressure, temp) you are in the 390-410" of drop at 1K yards with a 175gr SMK.

When I used to compete in service rifle matches I had the opportunity to go to Quantico and shoot on their Range 4 several times. All service members were required to use either a .308 or 5.56...and the vast majority used 5.56 with Iron sights, and the 80gr SMK at the 1K yard line.

Seeing the bullet trace start out 20' into the trees that were on top of the berm...disappear at about the 500 yard mark as it was just coming down...and then seeing the target go down and come back up with a hit in the 10 ring was pretty impressive. You're talking in the neighborhood of 33 feet of drop.

One day we had to shoot in a 20+MPH full value crosswind. I think we were shooting 140ish inches of wind drift. The bullet was literally starting at the far edge of the 6' target NEXT to yours and drifting back in. 33 feet of drop...12 feet of drift.
I attended the National Matches at Camp Perry in the late 70’s as an Army Reserve volunteer.
I worked the night shift so I could watch the 1000 yard matches. At that time the 30-06 was still very much in use by many of the contestants.
I was amazed at the wind flags showing direction were pointed in many different directions and how they could read the winds to get a bullet on target at that range.
Now LR shooters are looking at 2 mile shots.
I read a story awhile back about how much elevation is required to make that shot and it was incredible. Bullet flight time was a tad under 3 seconds.

Reactions: diggler1833

·
Super Moderator
10,829 Posts
Dennis when you stop in town in July you should go pop a few rounds off at the lifesize steel Buffalo we have on the 1k yard range at 1k yards. Also have life size bighorn at like 568y and various other targets and ranges.

·
Administrator
13,910 Posts
View attachment 6530 Dennis when you stop in town in July you should go pop a few rounds off at the lifesize steel Buffalo we have on the 1k yard range at 1k yards. Also have life size bighorn at like 568y and various other targets and ranges.
Looking forward to it!

Reactions: Bullbuster

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I actually would be willing to bet that the bullet flight time at two miles is closer to double the three seconds that the source listed. It is about 1.5 seconds to get to 1K yards.

A lot if wind can happen in 1.5 seconds, and figuring it out at a thousand yards is an artform. I pulled the target of the USAMU guy who won the overall 2001 interservice matches, and I think he only dropped one point at the thousand yard line. Competition was fierce. I shanked a 7 on my ninth shot at the 600 yard line, and even though my other nineteen shots were 10s or Xs, I placed 38th on the individual match for that yard line. I was blessed with the skill to get to the show, but did not have enough to hang with the big boys.

I've shot the M2 .50cal at targets over two miles on Camp Pendleton for S&G once I finished qualifying our heavy gun courses. The bullets were starting off at the hilltops (some might argue mountains)...tracer burnout occurs at about 900 yards, and that was happening as the bullets were still climbing (obviously they're dropping, but they were still gaining elevation). You had to wait a while, but eventually the little flashes around the tank hulls would signal where the API/APIT rounds were landing. We had a whopping 7x day optic. We were aiming about 20* over the target.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts