Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My oldest boy and I went up north about 60 miles to Pathfinder reservoir today. Had another buddy Jay we were meeting up with. All seemed well until the unthinkable happened and things became a race for possible life and death. Mother Nature was calling the shots now.

I’ll try and be brief but (read news story link below) a snow qual hit like a sand storm in the Sahara desert. An approximately 300y wide x 1 mile long chunk of 4-7” thick ice broke free from the shore and rapidly began floating out into the lake with people on it. I’d just walked back to shore and my truck when within 3 minutes the ice split happened and a 30’ gap of open water formed right in front of me. My son was still 100y out on the ice. Yelling and screaming to him in the 50+ mph winds and whiteout to run for safety down the ice to another group of people some 1/4 mile away. He realized what was happening and tried to gather up as much gear as possible into the sleds. He didn’t have time when he said a split happened in front of him as well. He left everything and began to get to safety.

I jumped in my truck and hauled arse down to the other group where my buddy Jay was fishing with some other guys. My son eventually made but had to jump several times from ice sheet to ice sheet (the entire thing was also breaking up into smaller sheets as it floated away) some of the gaps of open water were 5-6’ across my son had to jump. The gap where we all met up and started rescue efforts was already 50y across.

I called 911 and gave GPS location and SITREPS of the rescue operations while LEO & local search & rescue teams were called in.

In the end my son and everyone from our 2 groups made it off the ice safe and sound. Some other guys in another group took a swim to safety.

Oh, my son and I both caught a Walleye each before the fun started.

Again here’s the new report about the incident and some more pics that I took.

Cloud Water Sky Coastal and oceanic landforms Highland

Tire Wheel Cloud Water Land vehicle

Cloud Sky Tire Wheel Cargo pants

Sky Water Water resources Cloud Mountain

Cloud Water Sky Liquid Fluid

Clothing Cloud Sky Car Wheel

Cloud Sky Vertebrate Sunglasses Outdoor recreation

·
Super Moderator
11,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So this pic was taken before the rescue started and my son arrived to these guys. You can now big the open water gap became.
Water Body of water Coastal and oceanic landforms Asphalt Vehicle

In my OP the pics are as follows…

1st-Nice and calm before the storm. The 2 shelters way in the distance is where my son had to run to. It’s also one of the shelters in the above pic.
2nd-The open water that formed moments after I’d returned to my truck.
4th-That’s my gear way out on the ice. I was able to eventually get it all recovered.
5th-My son setting Tip-up before the storm hit.
6th-The open water gap where rescue efferent began.
7th-My walleye and I with a selfie.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Holy crap! Glad you all are safe and good job thinking quickly to call 911 and the other departments. I’ve seen a few YouTube videos of breakups where cars and ice huts all fell into the water.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
11,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Holy crap! Glad you all are safe and good job thinking quickly to call 911 and the other departments. I’ve seen a few YouTube videos of breakups where cars and ice huts all fell into the water.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It was a very tense situation for awhile. I was afraid the sheet my son was on was gonna start sinking.
This was a fluke squall and situation. My buddy Jays been ice fishing for 30 years and this is the first time he’s ever seen much less Experienced this.
It’s also the same buddy that was nearly killed in an ATV accident at elk camp in September.
I’m going this week and buying a 200’ section of rope and will now keep it with my ice gear.

·
Super Moderator
11,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good job man. I’ve only been ice fishing once in South Dakota. I was paranoid the entire time because everyone was driving on the ice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I remember the first time I heard the ice “talking” with the snaps and pops and such. This was the thinnest I’ve I’ve ever fished and it was 4-6”. I’m used to 18-30” thick ice and people riding ATVs on it.

Reactions: retrieverman

·
Super Moderator
11,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This year has had me or someone in my family in survival mode twice now. Out with 2021 and in with 2022.

·
Administrator
14,674 Posts
Holy crap! That was a close call for everyone. Fortunately two people used their brains to work together and get everyone back to shore safely.

·
Super Moderator
11,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It’s quite awkward the first time but quickly becomes a thrill. It was like the first time I scuba dived. I’m under water thinking this isn’t natural but its really cool. Same with the ice fishing. When inside a shelter you loose all sense of the outside world and it’s just you and some fishing friends. When the ice is crystal clear and the water is to you can see down 20’ through the holes. The outside light shines through ice and lights it up inside. It really is fun.
Now just camped out on the open ice with no shelter in the ripping wind sucks!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts