Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
16,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lots of Johnson grass but what was disappointing was there was not a sign of my clover.
Don’t know if the drought and hi temps have it dormant or it’s dead.

Just a few hours after leaving the does came to check it out.

·
Administrator
16,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Mowed #2 area this afternoon. Had to take out a ton of saplings with the brush hog that we’re taking over. Some 3” diameter.
Left there at 1730 hrs.

Look what showed up at 2042 hrs after putting 5 lbs corn on the ground.

Then when getting home, this was resting by the garage. She never moved while backing in the trailer and unhitching.

·
Administrator
16,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Administrator
16,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hoping early bow season will put the bigger one under the stand. Probably let the smaller of the two walk. He’s young and needs some more time to grow.
Neighbor across the fence is more selective than I am so he will probably pass on both.

·
Administrator
16,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Drove 20 miles this afternoon to mow the Salt Fork place in preparation of tilling and planting a food plot.
Getting there and making one round, the sky opened up and it poured rain so hard you couldn’t see a block, then some dime sized hail fell.
Was pretty wet getting loaded back up and out of there.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Dennis, not to sidetrack the topic but if you have to turn under a plot say 4-5" with a disc, what do you use to level back out? Harrow? Arena drag? Box blade? We'll be expanding some plots plus making a few new ones in the Spring so I am trying to start getting the necessary equipment. Our soil is sandy(think beach volleyball) - ex: the wheel on the bush hog doesn't get fully off the ground so it'll leave a row in the sand when turning.

·
Administrator
16,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dennis, not to sidetrack the topic but if you have to turn under a plot say 4-5" with a disc, what do you use to level back out? Harrow? Arena drag? Box blade? We'll be expanding some plots plus making a few new ones in the Spring so I am trying to start getting the necessary equipment. Our soil is sandy(think beach volleyball) - ex: the wheel on the bush hog doesn't get fully off the ground so it'll leave a row in the sand when turning.
If I disk, I have 2, 4’ sections of antique spring tooth to drag around, bust up the clods and level out the plot.
It’s the type where you set the depths with two levers, then get back on the tractor.
Bought a 4 section at an auction once for $25. Nobody uses them anymore so they go cheap. By the time I got everything repaired, ended up with a two section.
They do pick up trash which is good so the first pass over the plot I set it to just skim the surface and use it as a rake.
Been awhile since opening up a new plot so I just use the 6’ tiller with the tractor. Leaves a perfect seedbed.

·
Super Moderator
13,455 Posts

·
Administrator
16,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hell of a food plot you got. Took just over an hour to bring them bucks in.
The guy leasing our places always plants late for what reason I don’t know, but the rent checks come in like clockwork so we don’t complain. It’s his gig

1 - 15 of 15 Posts