Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well for about the 5th year, maybe more, Didnt bust a cap on a deer. I knew I should have busted one of the two does i saw opening morning . Let em walk since I got one with crossbow and my boy got one youth weekend. I was looking for something with bones on it. I did however shoot lots of vermin. I will post picks in the constest room.

·
Administrator
14,034 Posts
I was almost a bust as well, but the last day come through. Just a doe and coyote.

·
Super Moderator
10,982 Posts
I got my first 2 ML deer this year and the first deer for me in 3 years. Just lucky I guess. Still had to eat 1 ML tag.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I have my lifetime license, so at least I don't have to eat a tag.

On second thought, at least I would be eating something. This year has been brutal!

·
Administrator
14,034 Posts
Lifetime here too. I saw tons of deer, as my hunting area is wide open for miles. Spend several hours on the spotting scope watching them, but only had a few within range. Was holding out for horns. There are some creek lines a half mile away, and most of the deer were working them as the browse is still good. No acorn trees in my area, but all of the wheat fields are coming around, and the deer will be hitting them pretty quick. Just in time for rifle season. ;D

·
Super Moderator
10,982 Posts
I tell ya what I put out some of that Sugar Beat stuff from Wally World and OMG did they hit that stuff hard. I'd say they dug up the ground a good 2" in the spots I put it out. Had them hit it the very first night it was out.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Good deal. I still havent been out yet. But just got off the phone with some buddies and am heading to woodward the 13th. Hopefully the rut doesnt have them locked down.

·
Administrator
14,034 Posts
I tell ya what I put out some of that Sugar Beat stuff from Wally World and OMG did they hit that stuff hard. I'd say they dug up the ground a good 2" in the spots I put it out. Had them hit it the very first night it was out.
Sugar beets are the feed of choice in the northern states. I was in Chicago for training several years ago just before deer season. Had to drive 50 miles to the plant, and saw every truck on the road with mounds of sugar beets in them. Talked to a guy at the plant and he said they are a deer magnet. I need to find out what variety they are, and grow some in the food plots instead of turnips. the turnips do ok after a frost turns the starch in the leaves into sugar, but we may not have a good enough frost until gun season.
The deer eat the leaves of the turnip, but if I'm not wrong, they actually eat the sugar beet. I'll do some looking around on google an see what I can find. Too late this season, but next season is already in the planning stages ;)

·
Super Moderator
10,982 Posts
The stuff I used was a ground up powder form. Smells reall good. Now and again I could catch wind of it even at 30y or so away. The Wally world by me was out when I went in today and I gave gauge my only bag to use. I need to pic some more up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts