Jenna's first deer...142 lbs dressed, 10 points and 3.5 years old:

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Nice deer.

·
Administrator
14,025 Posts
Thats a great 8 point by your dad! Lots of mass on that guy.
Congrats on getting your girlfriend into hunting. Has she hunted before? She got a really nice one for her first.

·
Vendor
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nope, it was her first time. She wanted to go hunting, so I got her hooked up with an 'apprentice' license, took her out to shoot my .308 a few times and headed out to the woods. The first evening we saw a doe, but were never presented with a shot. The next morning we had a yearling buck with 4 points on his right side and a broken antler on his left come up to within about 20 feet of where we were hidden in a blowdown. After he moved off, I decided we should move a bit to get in better position to see. We moved about 300 yards or so away and got set up again. It wasn't long before she saw the one she got moving around in the brush. He very slowly made his way toward us...then suddenly just disappeared. After trying to find him through the binoculars for a couple of minutes, I stood up so I could see down into the low spot where we had last seen him. It was there that I could very faintly make out his rack through all of the brush and ice storm debris...so he had just bedded down there. He was facing away from us, so she and I got up and moved to a spot where she would have a clear shot once he stood up. We made our way to a small hackberry tree where I screwed in an accessory hook so she would have a solid rest. She prepared for the shot and I began to grunt, snort-wheeze, etc. trying to get this buck to stand up. He could hear it, but he just was not interested.

So we waited.

...and waited.

...and waited until he finally decided to stand up on his own. When he did, he was quartering sharply towards us and was turned around licking his back leg. I encouraged her to wait until she had a broadside shot and had his head up. After that is was...

...lick, lick, lick...for 5 minutes...head up for 5 seconds...lick, lick, lick...for another 5 minutes...head up for 5 seconds again. This went on for at least 20 minutes.

Then he started to move....directly toward us. It was then that we realized that he was really laboring to walk and what he was licking was some sort of major injury to his hindquarters. He closed about 10 yards between us and turned to his right, which was directly into some thick brush. I was thinking he was going to stay on that path, so I began unscrewing the hook I had put in the side of the tree for Jenna to use as a rest so I could get her set up for the next gap he come through to our left. I got it most of the way out when he turned and came back from where he had just come. I got it screwed back in and she got ready for the shot once again. He moved into the gap and once she felt comfortable, she took the shot. I couldn't help but laugh when she took the shot because the recoil from it knocked her back a good three feet and after seeing that the buck was down, she immediately said, "I have to pee." ;D

Anyway...that injury he was licking was a bullet wound that clipped his left leg and shattered the bone in his ham on the right leg. Needless to say, he was pretty run down and likely was not going to make it, so it was a good harvest all around. She was pretty proud...as was I. :) She has since been teasing her brother that he hasn't gotten one and she has, lol.

·
Administrator
14,025 Posts
Great story! Thats the way a good deer hunt should go. ;D ;D
I feel for her on getting the recoil jolt. :eek:
I got to help on a Women on Target sponsored by the NRA at our range this spring, and noticed that most of them leaned back from the gun instead of leaning into it. This may be why some don't like to shoot. ???
Recoil would be much worse.

·
Vendor
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, Dennis...and did I mention it was a LONG drag? That ice storm damage makes for some great habitat, but it is a nightmare to drag a deer through! Well worth it though! :D

By the way, I didn't get much out of my dad about his hunt other than the buck walked up, following a doe and when he saw how wide he was, he shot it. He hunted a total of about 2.5 hours this year...and I got to help with that drag, too, lol.

My .308 is pretty light...and so is she, so it hits her pretty hard no matter how she has it. She got a lesson about what would happen if she didn't hold it solidly against her shoulder before she took her first shot...didn't want her to get nailed with the scope or have a bruised shoulder and be afraid to shoot when a deer came up. She did everything as well as expected...very proud of her. :)

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Good all around hunt, USFWC.

·
Administrator
14,025 Posts
I know what you mean about the ice storm damage. We had one about 5or 6 years ago, and it is just now getting where a guy can get around in the woods. all the fallen stuff is pretty rotten.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts