Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to goose hunt this morning, but no geese. Just before shooting light, though, I had 5 gadwalls fly in and land on the pond. I watched them for about 30 minutes, and decided the geese weren't coming. So I decided to stand and flush them, pack up, and leave. I shot 2 of the gadwalls, retrieved them, and packed the decoys away to head home.

On my way home, my little springfed pond had 3 mallards on it. I shot one as they flew off, and he flew off and landed in the timber. I saw him go down, but I couldn't find him anywhere. I paced through the timber for almost 20 minutes before I finally found him. He was huge, and when I picked him up I noticed he had a band on his leg. My first banded duck! I cannot describe how excited I was. I called it in, and he was banded 6 Sep 2007 at Jay Clark Salyer National Wildlife Refuge, North Dakota!

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Congrats!!! ;D ;D ;D That is a trophy worth getting!!!! I got my first banded bird in Nov. 1975 that was a Canada Goose and my second was a Mallard Drake I shot in Oct. 1984. I have not shot another bird since then with a band. Congrats again!!!!

·
Super Moderator
10,983 Posts
Way to go man. I could tell when we talked to you were like a kid on Christmas morning.

·
Administrator
14,034 Posts
That's awesome! Congrats!

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Way to go Richard!!!

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got my certificate by email the other day!! Now I just need to get some color ink for my printer and a frame!

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Do you have the phone I contact for bands? I would like see if I get new certificates for mine. They are starting come apart.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1-800-327-2263

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
thanks. :) :) :) :)

·
Super Moderator
10,983 Posts
Again way cool man.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just got him back today and put him on the wall. Thanks Bull!! Now I need to print and frame the certificate.

·
Administrator
14,034 Posts
Love that landing pose!

·
Super Moderator
10,983 Posts
Well sorry it took so long to get it back to you. Like I said blame it on Uncle Sam.
Just so you know and I think I told you already but I drilled a hole in my finger to the bone with my cordless drill while working on it. I did wipe all the blood off the mannequin for you.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hahaha!! Now that's commitment.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
That facial expression on that mallard. " Like really you gonna shoot me. I dare ya!"

·
Super Moderator
10,983 Posts
Only you practice on mounts in the off season lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts