Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are a few pics from today's outing. 4 bass, catfish and 20+ bluegill not worth the effort. It's catch and release at a lot of the city and base fishing areas.

The big one

·
Administrator
14,034 Posts
Well, at least your getting out there ;)

It may be different now, but when I was stationed at Ft Leavenworth Ks in the 70's, I found out that the state had built a ton of flood contol lakes, stocked them and they were open to the public, even though they were on private land.
The same is not so in Okla.
Contact the Kansas wildlife department and see what they have for military folks.
Kansas also has a Walk in program that gives landowners money to let hunters on their land without having to chase the landowner down to get permission. I don't know if fishing is involved, but when I hunt in Kansas and use their walk in program, there are tons of ponds and small lakes on the properties.

·
Super Moderator
10,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have several books with all that info that I was given by the outdoor rec manager Jim. He and I have been fishing together. I will also be taking part in a American Bass Anglers Tour Pro/Am tournament on July 21st at Big Hill Reservoir in SE, KS. It's for military people. It's a regular stop on the tour for them and it has lots of big bass. 18" min length limit. Average bass weight the last stop at this lake was 5 pounds. With a dozen fish over 10 pounds weighed in. I'm so pumped I can't wait. All the big companies are involved and they said every military contestant will walk away with stuff from tackle and rod reel combos to other high dolor items. It's a one day 10 hour tournament. I can't wait to be schooled by a pro!

·
Super Moderator
10,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I'm happy to say that the famous Kansas Dork Fish is alive and well. I got these 4 all on hotdog chunks. Yes no joke even the bass took a liking to it.
Bass weighed between 1.7-2.3 pounds and 15-18" long. The cat was 1.8 pounds and 20 1/2" long.

·
Super Moderator
10,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gonna add another to today's catch. Also lost 2 more at the shore. This slab of bass was 19 3/4" and 2.6 pounds. Oh and it's also a dork fish lol.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Looks like you're slayin' the fishies up there.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Way to go ! P.S. like the shirt! ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

·
Administrator
14,034 Posts
Last weekend while fishing for cats, all but a few were caught on Garlic Weenies.

John Stahl, the NW fisheries supervisor for the ODW has been using them for quite awhile, and gave me the recipe. We fish together on occasion.

Cut the cheapest weenies into 3/4" chunks, cover with a ton of garlic powder, and put in the microwave. Depending on how many are in the MW, you cook them untill they are sizzling, and then put the weenies and the oil into a zip lock and let them set on the counter for a day or two before going fishing.
They danged sure work.
A zillion years ago, the janitor at my High School used weenies soaked in beer for a few days.
Seems weenies are the key ingredient. ;)

We are going to set out 40 jugs and a trot line tomorrow evening so we will see what happens. We have crawdaddies, perch, weenies, and will throw net some shad when we get there. ;D

·
Super Moderator
10,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dennis I too have done that recipe and with great luck. I cutm rollm in garlic powder cook for a min take them out rollm in more garlic and coot another min. Take weenies, oil and used garlic and put in bag. I'm gonna make some tonight gotta go to store and get the stuff.

·
Administrator
14,034 Posts
Well, my fishing buddy fell into disfavor with his wife, so I didn't get to go out tonight.
I'll set some out tomorrow morning with or without him. Wouldn't be the first time.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
About time you got into the action this season.
You should feel better now.
Congrats on the catch.

·
Super Moderator
10,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks I made up some garlic dogs and already got a nice lil cat on them tonight. Will see if I get anymore.
Bird that's my favorite fishing shirt. I always have good luck with it. Gonna wear it in the bass turny next month.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts