Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered me a varmit rifle today. I ordered a howa 22-250 and will be putting on it a bushnell elite 3200 D.O.A reticle or the bushnell trophy D.O.A reticle. The only thing is what ammo to use to hunt varmits with i know i will b using 55 grain winchester silvertip if i hunt deer wit it not sure if i should use that ammo 4 varmits and anyone know of a good bipod brand i can put on it?

·
Administrator
14,234 Posts
I have a .22-250. You'll love it. Almost no recoil, and is just flat inherently accurate.
Every gun is different, but, mine shoots the WWB 45 grain hollowpoints so well, that I've never reloaded for it, but with the shortage of ammo, and the prices, reloading is quickly coming into the picture.
I have some Sierra 55 grain soft point boattails that a friend loaded for me. They work really well on deer. I do believe they drop them just as fast as my 06, with good shot placment of course.
In the past I've ran some 40 grain Hornady Vmax thru it, but it shot no better than the cheaper winchesters, so Thats been my pic. I have just got dies, so reloading will be starting pretty quick.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Bi pods~B Square,Butler Creek & maybe BlackHawk.

·
Registered
5,338 Posts
I've been wondering how those Howa rifles are. Been watching a show called Predatorquest or something like that. He shoots a tricked out Howa.

As far as ammo I've had real good luck with 55gr Vmax bullets out of a Rem 700 bullbarrle. I'll have to look up my reloading recipe, but it'll make nice tight lil cloverleafs at 100yrds off a bench. Been wanting to try some of the TNT bullets to see if they work as well as the Vmax's.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It should be in by next wednesday. i like the howa because the stock is a black rubberized feeling so i will be able to grip it alil better i was goin to buy the stevens camo stock 22-250 or .223 but im getting such a good on the howa for $299 brand new than im going to start making it look like a sniper rifle ;D

·
Registered
918 Posts
$299 for a howa i need details on where to get this i have owned several and after slapping in timney triggers they were tack drivers i loaded 40gr vmaxs out of 250 howa at break neck speeds in my encore that i have now i just shoot the hollowpoints and a few ballistic tips for the yotes and pigs

·
Registered
5,338 Posts
$299 is a smokin deal. Should be a really nice rifle esp. when you done with it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts