Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
13,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the new Ponca City rifle and pistol range Saturday, where a sponsored shoot for the Army reserve was going on. A good buddy is the sponsor. I went to see if I could be of additional help as I'm on the range committee. They broke out a Barrett .50 cal sniper rifle, and I got to touch off a couple of rounds. The trigger was perfect, and upon firing the 671 grain bullet of FMJ American Diplomacy, my vision went away for an instant and, an instant head-ache started, but I got the biggest grin that I've had in a long time. ;D ;D ;D

Chambered another round and put it downrange. All I can say is AWESOME!!! ;D

I've fired several thousand .50's, all belt fed, but this is my first shoulder fired weapon of this size. ;D Puts it up close and personal.

My shoulder is pretty sore the day after, but that didn't stop me from going to the dunes on my tryke Monday. Thats another post though. ;D

I had an ar with me, and put one of its rounds next to the .50BMG. Pretty impressive difference.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Dennis where are you ear muffs & ear plugs? ;D
Their a blast to shoot @ 1000 yards.
It been awhile since,I shot a bolt 50 cal. Grizzly. Awesome indeed.

·
Administrator
13,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The shooting was already done with the muffs, plugs, and safety glasses which are still in in pic. It would be instantanious hearing loss if a person didn't wear both plugs, and muffs.

Just a photo op ;D

·
Administrator
13,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you hit what you were aiming at,or did you just shoot it?
I was on the 100 yd range, and centerpunched the bull both times. ;D

It will be a lot more fun when we get the 400 yd range built. ;D

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
O ya.
Still that's a cake walk for a 50 cal.

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
Ah good lawdy son, you is definatly in some tall cotton there. I'd love to get to stretch the legs out on one of those rifles. So is it tru that the recoil is like shooting a 3 1/2 mag turkey load?

·
Administrator
13,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was for me. Even with that big muzzlebrake, it hurt. Next day my shoulder was pretty sore, and then it was a day at the dunes. I'm paying for it all today ;D
It hurts good though ;D

·
Vendor
511 Posts
Man I love shooting those big [email protected]@@s. They are an absolut blast. Dennis welcome to club buddy. You know what they say once you go 50 you never go back

Michael

·
Administrator
13,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I thought this was the top of the line, but I just found out there is a guy that is making a shoulder fired rifle using a 20MM cannon shell. :eek: :eek:
I guess I still have some mountains to climb :'(

·
Vendor
511 Posts
I thought this was the top of the line, but I just found out there is a guy that is making a shoulder fired rifle using a 20MM cannon shell. :eek: :eek:
I guess I still have some mountains to climb :'(
There are some mountains I will not cross. Even though I might have to try that one.

Michael

·
Administrator
13,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll try to find the video. The recoil is pretty brutal :eek:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts