Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As y'all know I was lucky this year and got drawn for the brand new Grady County WMA for 1 of 8 ML tags and an either sex hunt. I missed the first two day being out of town. Having bow hunted it and had plenty of scouting I knew right where I wanted to be at Monday morning.
It was one of those mornings you dream about. Starts getting light you see deer in front of you and you know its going to be a great morning. Well that's how it started except for the fog hovering off the ground. As it got light I had deer in front of me only thing was the fog had all but 6" of neck and head covered. When they dropped there head to feed you couldn't see them at all. I wasn't going to take a head shot even at 30-40y. They hung around a good half hour after legal shooting light but I couldn't see there bodies to make a clean shot. They finally moved off into the trees before the fog ever lifted. I was about to leave my spot and walk around when I thought to myself it would be nice to have a deer walk out right now. Not even 30 seconds later 2 doe popped out about 60y away. I reached for my ML and in my rush clanked it against the barbed wire fence. They looked my way and lit out across the field and didn't stop till they hit another block of woods some 1/4 mile away. I hung around till noon and packed it in as my boy had a ball game at 5 that I wasn't going to miss. I knew 3 other hunters were around and had heard 2 shots and got bummed for my first day out. I put out some more sugar beats before heading back to my truck.
Tuesday morning found me in my spot an hour before legal shooting time. It was pitch black with no fog. I couldn't see anything with my bino's. As I was sitting quietly just listening to the sounds of nature at night I head a deer blow out in the field. I tried to see with the bino's but it was just too dark still. A few minuted passed and I head another deer blow about 100y to my right at the end of the tree row I was in. A few minutes passed and again another deer blow behind me. Not sure if it was the same deer or not. As it got light I could see that no deer were in the field. I was bummed but still had a good felling for the day. About 8am I hear a deer blow close by in the trees to my left. I glassed for awhile but didn't see anything. Around 8:30 I hear a twig break at my 10 o'clock. I lean forward to look around the tree I was against and wouldn't you know it a doe is standing not 10' away looking my way. It took me about a minute and a half I'd say to reach for my ML raise it up and prop it up for a shot. The whole time she is looking around and just standing in the same place. I lean down to look through the scope and boom she bolts off not back into the trees but across the field and into another wooded area. I'm thinking I just blew my chance for the day. I picked up and moved into the trees to a spot I knew gave good views. I was kicked back playing some games on my cell when I heard crash I grab my gun and get read. I see a deer running at me but to my left. I go to take aim and see its a small 6pt. I knew he was headed for the ditch about 20y to my left and shot just as he got to the edge. I saw bark fly and knew I hit a tree branch. I went to see and sure enough I hit the tree branch he was behind. It didn't go through so I knew it was a clean miss. I reloaded and went back to my chair to feel bad for myself. A few minutes later I see a kid walking to my right with a bow and no orange on. I'm thinking WTH. I called him over and talked to him. Had him call his dad over as well. They hadn't hunted the place before and didn't know it was closed for the quota hunt. The dad had a ML and orange on at least. I told them the GW or Rex Umber the biologist would of the WMA would have a field day with them if they got caught and they should leave. They apologised and walked away. Wasn't trying to be mean but they needed to know. I figured my day was done at that point in this area but I stayed and held out hope. At about 1035 I'm glass 90 degrees to my right when I see a deer butt sticking out behind an oak and brush. It didn't dawn on me what I just saw so I kept glassing. It then hits me DEER BUTT! I scan back and verify and sure enough its a deer. I can't see anything but the hind end. I get my gun and not to scare it off by adjusting my position I try and shoot left handed. I wait for it to move and when it stepped forward and I got a clear view and I take the 35-40y shot. I see the deer run. I reload and wait 10 min to let myself calm down. I still didn't know if it was a buck or doe as I never saw the head. I walk over to the spot and see the turned up dirt and look around for blood. I look up and 20' away is my deer dead. I then go check and see it was a button buck. As I knelt down next to it I look up and see the boy and his dad walking through the field. With that I took my first deer in Oklahoma, my first ML deer, my first left handed shot at an animal and according to Rex Umber the biologist the first deer harvested from the new Grady County WMA.

Sorry so long but I had to share it all.

·
Administrator
14,060 Posts
Great story, and congrats on the deer!

·
Super Moderator
11,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I will have to tweek it as I had to post and run. Been a very busy couple of days.

One thing I failed to mention is that the knit cap I was wearing became home to a mess of chiggers which found my scalp to be a good snack. I'd say I have about 50-60 chigger bites in my hair and forhead.

·
Administrator
14,060 Posts
WOW! I"ve never heard, nor experienced chigger bites on the head. :eek:

·
Super Moderator
11,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They itch just the same and I'm a scratcher lol.

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
Congrads on the deer! Hum, have to check the regs, but didn't think chiggars were allowed to bit Air Force folks. Must still have that Navy smell!!!!

·
Super Moderator
11,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Congrads on the deer! Hum, have to check the regs, but didn't think chiggers were allowed to bit Air Force folks. Must still have that Navy smell!!!!
Ha ha!!

Well I got another deer down yesterday about 10 minutes after first light. Got this one down near gauges place. I'm really getting ticked as it was another button buck. This was about a 100y shot. I tell ya then BB's need to wear a sign saying I'm not a doe. Had by boy with me and he was so excited. This is only the second time in my life I have gotten 2 dear in a season. Put it on ice in the cooler and hunted all day only seeing 3 more doe and an un identified deer butt in the brush. Given today is the last day for ML I'm going eat one tag but I still have my bow tag to fill. Gonna wait till after gun season and hit it hard. Hope its a late rut and I can get in on some of it. Be cool to get 3 this year and also fill my turkey tag. Will get pic up soon. Gotta get back out and finish my butchering.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Way to go!!! I still need to by tags for gun season. Hopefully I will get to go.

·
Administrator
14,060 Posts
Congrads on the deer! Hum, have to check the regs, but didn't think chiggers were allowed to bit Air Force folks. Must still have that Navy smell!!!!
I tell ya then BB's need to wear a sign saying I'm not a doe.
After 8 years of hunting a DMAP primarily, shooting button bucks is pretty much a no-no.

One of the things we have found, is that at this time of year, the does kick out the button bucks, but retain the doe fawns if they have had twins or triplets. Single moms kick the button bucks out as well, and then join other doe units.
So, if you see a single deer, walking along like it doesn't have a problem in the world, with a short snout, its more than likely to be a BB.

·
Super Moderator
11,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This guy was in a small stand of trees and made a break for the big thick stiff. He only had a 20y clearing to cross. I got him to stop 10' from the trees and dropped him with a standing off hand. From the time I saw it till it hit the ground was about 5-7 seconds. I'm about putting meat in the freezer and I saw meat. I still have my bow tag which I will be selective on. Saving that for the rut. I really hate having taken a BB but it happens.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts