Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope everyone is managing OK from the ice and getting ready for this epic snow storm about to roll in. Haven’t had forecasted snow storm like this in OK since my first winter in ‘09. Told my daughter to go stock up on some dry foods and such before the shelves are emptied.
Saw this forecast and hope it’s wrong but if not it’s gonna be a rough few days for y’all.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Bullbuster, watched the news close last night and while they may be off some I bet we're going to get a lot of snow. It was mentioned that since it's so cold and dry that it "shouldn't" contain any moisture and be all snow. That's the part I'm not 100% convinced on. Honestly I'm more concerned with the possible -30 degrees with wind chill. Going to go over to my Mom's after work and build a bed/shelter in the garage for the barn cats. Got a good sized grocery list and going over my lunch hour to try and beat all the crazies!

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
I think if it is going to snow then it will have to warm up some. I just said wait until Friday and see how they change it. Rough in the shop. Only have small milkhouse heater. I last about three hours then come in the feel my fingers again.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Bull, do you have any more of them ice fishin' tips????

Reactions: Bullbuster

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
I won’t be able to get outa my driveway if it snows that much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
10,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bull, do you have any more of them ice fishin' tips????
Dress in layers. Keep your back to the wind if not in a shelter. Anchor your chair or bucket down so it doesn’t blow away. Don’t wait until you can’t hold it anymore to find a place to go to the bathroom. It takes awhile with all those layers and cold hands.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Got 105 first calf heifers and 300 cows that started calving last week. To say it’s been green grass and paychecks would be a lie, more like a kick in the nuts followed by an upper cut from Tyson.
1/4” of ice, cold temps and wind are are hard on everything. Been picking up several dead calves each day and been putting some in the truck to warm up after tube feeding them some colostrum. I’ll find a new baby that’s up, dry and nursing then 100 yards away there will be one dead froze to the ground.
Heifers have been consistently calving around 2 or 3 in the damn morning. I have been doing the feed at dark, calve during the day routine that OSU brags about but it’s not working, I wonder if Dr. Peel will answer his phone at 3am the next time 1 calves. It doesn’t take me long to get my hoodie, coat and gloves back on after being armpit deep in a heifer when it’s 10* outside.
It’s gonna get worse before the sun shines again and it’s kinda depressing but I honestly wouldn’t trade my livelihood for anything else.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
13,586 Posts
Tough to see those paychecks laying dead.
I feel for ya.

·
Super Moderator
10,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Murphranch sorry to hear about the calf loss. With that many head it’s hard to get them into temp shelter for safety. Lets hope it a brighter day for you tomorrow.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Dang Murph that's some ruff luck there. Ma Nature is a cruel biatch sometimes.

Bullbuster, I think my best tip for ice fishing in Oklahoma is fishing for an ice cube to go into a drink inside the house!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Minus 6 here this morning actual temp. Brrrrr. Dog loves playing in the snow but this morning it was run out, do my business, run back!

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Back in olden day on the Oregon coast I use to help a sheep rancher with his sheep. Got me deer access in the fall. Seemed like he always needed to be out town during a winter storm. No snow just lots of cold wet heavy rain. Nothing like trying load a wet Suffolk ewe in the back of the truck and haul her back to the barn for a stuck lamb. It seemed like if we could pull the lamb in the field, ewe and lamb would both survive. If we had to haul one to the barn, usually one or the other, lamb or ewe died. Had a pair survive one time and the rancher, want to know how I managed that. Both of my kids raised bummers for 4H.

Son did 21 years in the military and is working on his second retirement as a Civilian with the Navy. Moved his wife's hobby herd of 5 Icelandic sheep into 50+ head herd of Suffolk/Dorset's over the past 10 years.. Now he works sheep after work in the rain and snow. He had to go out of town for two weeks and Wife and daughter couldn't get the ram moved out of the pasture in time. Turned into a Windfall as all the early meat lambs are contracted for Easter sale.

Wonder where the kid got his work ethic, probably from his mom.

Working around farmers and ranchers it seemed their business is lot like a crap shot or playing the lottery. Lots of little jack pots and losses, big jackpot seldom.

My hat's off the farmers and ranchers of this country.

-5 here in Edmond this morning

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
-6 here at Draper. Lake looks like it’s on fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
-6* here as well and a 10mph north wind to sharpen the edge. -15* predicted for tonight.........................hopefully the above freezing temps predicted for Saturday hold true lol. Nobody is enjoying calving around here either. June breeding looking more and more favorable lol.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Wind is blowing the dusty snow and with the sunshine it looks like diamonds in the air.

Reactions: kwaynem
1 - 20 of 54 Posts