Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to find a home for my bird dog. She's a full blood English Setter and I have the papers just never had my name put on them.

Here's the situation. She bit my 1 yr old son and has so she has to go. I have no choice in the matter at this point. Can't take a chance on the next time bring worse. She's a good dog just not good with young kids. She went pheasant hunting with me this year and also a couple times with my brother-in-law. She's not the best bird dog but she does a good job of pointing and fun to take out. I don't want to get rid of her but really have no choice.

So if you know anyone who would want her let me know. She's free to a good home.

·
Super Moderator
10,993 Posts
I'm really sorry to hear that. If I didn't already have 2 big dogs I'd sit the wife down for a talk.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks to Dennis I found her a good home. He's coming to pick her up tomorrow. Probably gonna have to do it away from the house since the kids are not liking the idea that she's going. It's tough since our other dog passed in the summer. I feel really bad but at the end of the day I can't chance my 1 yr old getting bit again and it being worse.

She's a really sweet dog and playful just not good with young kids.

·
Super Moderator
10,993 Posts
If ya don't mind my asking, what actions occured that led to the bite. My kids play rough with our lab and shepard but the most violent they get is licking you to death.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well Josie is a very deep sleeper and startles easily. My 1 yr old in a few secs ran in and I am assuming pulled on her fur and she bit him more in a reactionary way than an intentional hurt. We have a lab mix and my 1yr old plays with her all the time and never has an issue. It's a personallity quirk with the bird dog. It's one of those things I got distracted for 30 secs and he was in there and I forgot she was inside sleeping. Just can't risk the next time being worse. Even the doc said it was obvious the bite wasn't a mauling type bite.

·
Super Moderator
10,993 Posts
Well it stinks nevertheless. I'm glad my youngest is 4 now and them days are somewhat behind us.
I swear my Shepard sleeps with one eye open. You can't pass by there kennel without here popping up. My lab could sleep fine in a war zone. However they both hate the cat and they will seek her out at night so we have to kennel them at night.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts