Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is for EVERYONE!!!!!!!

Forgive me if I sound like I'm ranting. I am somewhat.

If all you care about is guns for hunting, so be it, that's your choice. I for one am like many who view the 2nd as near and dear and stand by it till death do us part.

I take it upon myself to keep up will all new laws and regs in the states I live have going and do my part to ensure my freedoms remain free and UNINFRINGED.

Currently there is a bill here in OK to allow open carry of firearms if you have a concealed carry permit. I don't care how you view open carry. But as the current laws are if you are CC'ing and your gun so much as prints or shows you can be arrested and jailed for it. This law will take care of that problem and the worries that come with CC'ing in OK.

Now we all know California is the beading grounds for anti-gun liberals and the like. To make matters worse a CA based anti-gun group is stepping across state lines into OK and fighting for this bill to fail. Now if you're my like minded your thinking what the hell is it any of there business what OK does. Well its firearms related and they take that as offensive just like the 2[sup]nd[/sup].

Below is a petition to sign for the passing of this open carry bill. I ask you to sign it if not stick it to them commi Cali's but to stand up for our rights that the governments thinks they should infringe on anyway.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum66/43223.html

·
Administrator
14,060 Posts
I'm for the open carry as well. I don't see anybody strapping on a hog leg and slinging an ar around their shoulders going into walmart.
Its basically, like you said, going to prevent a legal gun owner that prints or accidentally exposes their CC from getting arrested.

·
Super Moderator
11,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your right. Having come from VA I OC 99% of the time and never had any issues. And when there was a problem I was at the wrong place at the wrong time while something was already happening.

I also fixed the crazy computer glitch that added a bunch of crazy typing.

For those that may not know. OK is one of 6 states that has no form of OC at all. Even more so 2 of those 6 states have no form of personal carry at all.

·
Super Moderator
11,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
!!!UPDATE!!!

Open Carry has passed the Senate. It now awaits the Gov. signature. If he signs it then it takes effect Nov. 1st. But keep in mind a permit is still required to do so.

I for one am happy it passed.

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
It does seem that Okla reps are following suit with other states in saying "Don't tread on me!" as far as the resolutions to keep the Feds at bay and , although a bit slow, on gun rights issues. Good job fellers. Now if the Gov will follow suit.....

·
Super Moderator
11,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We shall soon find out. ::)

·
Vendor
511 Posts
Lets hope and pray that our idiot at the top spot in the state does not veto it like he just did the other firearms bill.

Michael

·
Registered
840 Posts
So, if it passes, will our CC permit be automatically adjusted to OC? Or will a new permit need to be issued?

·
Vendor
511 Posts
It should automatically be adjusted. Like the law said as long as you are doing what you are supposed to be doing you should not have a problem.

Michael

·
Administrator
14,060 Posts
I'm not in his shoes, but the gun bill that Gov Henry veto'd, is being challenged in court by the feds in the other states where it passed. I'd like to have seen it passed just as a message to the feds, but he was probably looking at the cost of fighting it in court vs the benefit to the state. I don't know, just speculating on my part.

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
Wish he'd be held responsible at least to state why he veto's a bill. I'd bet if put to a vote of the folks, it'd pass no matter what the courts have going.

·
Registered
840 Posts
My CC expires 2013, so I was just checking!

·
Super Moderator
11,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So, if it passes, will our CC permit be automatically adjusted to OC? Or will a new permit need to be issued?
If this does get signed and all is good to go. You will not need to get any new permits. If you have a CC permit then you can legaly OC if you like.

I have had 2 break-ins on my street this week and in both cases someone was home. I may just carry more often now at home than normal. If OC was legal now you bet your butt I'd be OC'ing at home all the time.

·
Administrator
14,060 Posts
As I understand it, you can OC at home now without any new laws. I live in the country, and we have had a couple of crimes and one escaped convict, in the area, and an Osage deputy came up to the house and asked us if we had seen anything. I said no, and he left. I CC at home. I wake up in the morning, and go to bed at night with a weapon on me. At night, its next to me.
After getting burglarized, you get that state of mind. I happened to be OC when a deputy came up later on another deal. He never said a word, just reminded me that a murder had happened a mile NE, and the perp had headed across the woods in my direction.
Never had any problem since that, but rural crime is on the increase, as the thugs know there is nobody home. I have days off during the week, and am always prepared.
I don't have that paranoid state of mind, but the old boy scout mantra of "always be prepared" sticks in my mind.
I OC on my farms every time I go there and the Game wardens never say anything.

Will I go to walleyworld in OC.....no, and never will. Will never OC in any circumstance other on my home or while hunting, no. But I will defend the right of those that want to.
I just hope that we all maintain some sense of decorum and remember that even though its our right, we keep in mind others peoples feelings.
We all need to be responsible gun owners, and that involves keeping other citizens that may be on the fence of pro gun or anti gun owners in our minds.
It would bother me to see some parent grab their kids and run for the parking lot with some gun owner toting a hog leg into wallyworld. That is not what this law is about.

·
Registered
840 Posts
The only reason I don't CC in more places is the "No Firearms" signs on some of the businesses. You never know which businesses and stores have them and its a pain in the rear to walk up to the door, see the sign, then go back to the vehicle to lock it up and go back in. I've had to do that on several occasions. It would be nice if the license/permit exempted that.

As far as OC, there isn't any reason to walk around town like it's the Old West again, but I do like the idea of being able to keep it within easier reach in the car. And since my gun is a large frame anyway (Beretta 96), I don't have to worry about it "indicating". And you CAN OC at home and on your own property any time you like. The law only pertains to "public".

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
Haven't got to watch a lot of news, but did I see where this bill got struck down?

·
Super Moderator
11,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The Gov. did veto it and a big rally is being pushed to get the house and senate to overturn the veto. Not sure if it will happen as they still have the budget to finish and with 2 weeks left of this session its iffy. He based it on safety for the LEO's and the public. Apperently those with permits will go crazy if they could OC. Will post his veto response later. I'm at work right now and have no time to look it up.

·
Administrator
14,060 Posts
It was a total joke that he veto'd it. Shows his true colors.
I can't imagine how CC owners could become more of a threat with OC after being checked with a fine tooth comb by the OSBI to get their CC. ??? ???

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
Could the Gov be just a bit more out of touch with the folks that eleced him?????

·
Super Moderator
11,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'd been meaning to post the Veto on here. Thanks for doing it for me.

From what I have been reading they will start a re vote early next week. I hope the veto it and prove YET AGAIN nothing will happen.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts