Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been wanting a Kimber K6 but haven’t been able to put my hands on one, and I happened upon this Smith 649 yesterday and snatched it up. I don’t know why, but I have an affinity for these little humpbacks.
After shooting it this morning, I think it’s going to replace the 637 I’ve been carrying.
I’m not really a fan of the VZ grips, but they’ll do until I find something I like better. I may just take the Uncle Mike’s boot grips off the 637 and use them on this one.
Revolver Product Trigger Air gun Gun accessory

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice! I was carrying a 642 for a bit and really liked it. I recently gave it to my folks for them to keep around the house. Now that I'm having to carry my G19, I'm having second thoughts and perhaps might pick myself up another snubby.
I started concealed carrying in the mid 90’s when TX first started issuing permits, and in those days, there weren’t a lot of options for small easily concealable handguns like there are today. It was pretty much a j frame or some sort of micro 32 or 380, and I tried them all. I got away from the j frame for several years and tried a few Glocks, sub compact 1911’s, and micro 9’s, but I went back to my Smith 637 several months ago and haven’t looked back. Given the weight, I don’t think this 649 is going to carry quite as well as the 637, but I definitely like shooting it better.

·
Super Moderator
12,801 Posts
I don’t care who you are but that’s a sexy gun! I’ve really thought about a compact .357

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don’t care who you are but that’s a sexy gun! I’ve really thought about a compact .357
I actually thought these steel frames were 357/38, but this one is just 38. It doesn’t really matter to me, because I would have only shot 38’s in it anyway. 🤷‍♂️

·
Super Moderator
12,801 Posts
I actually thought these steel frames were 357/38, but this one is just 38. It doesn’t really matter to me, because I would have only shot 38’s in it anyway. 🤷‍♂️
My wife’s got a .38 Spl and I have my granddads old .38 short. I want the .357 for hiking and camping and such. Currently carry my G22 .40 with 200gr Buffalo bullets for that.

·
Super Moderator
12,801 Posts
I don’t blame you, because y’all got stuff up there that’ll eat you.
That’s why I carry the G22 with the 200gr rounds. I’m actually far more worried about a big cat than a black bear where I play. Do have an ever increasing wolf population in the area as well. Boy howdy would I love to see one and shoot one. No tag required for them in my area. Kill on sight!!

·
Super Moderator
12,801 Posts
Factory barrel but copper plated bullets. The 300gr I have in .44 are the semi hard cast wad cutters.

Edit—I went and looked as you got me thinking and I was WAY OFF…I do have some Buffalo in .44 only but what I HAVE ACTUALLY been carrying in my G22 are Grizzly 200gr JHP and I have them in 300gr hard cast for the .44.
Tin Font Material property Publication Metal

1 - 18 of 18 Posts