Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I somewhat lowballed on a .01 cent opening bid on Gunbroker for a new Savage 110 Timberline. I'll typically throw out ~25% less than going rate...and as a result, I almost never win.

Well. I won today, which is actually almost something that I was hoping against. In the past few days I'd been looking for a hunting rifle for the F-I-L that my wife and girls could also use. I found a pretty inexpensive one in 6.5 Grendel that I already had everything for, but I'd already bid on this. Glad I waited.

This Savage is in 6.5 Creedmoor. I’ve avoided that chambering for years. I actually worked with Dennis Demille (one of the 6.5 CM creators) back when he was a range officer in the Marines. Fortunately, I have enough components (minus brass now) to get started....but I'm painfully low on powders in the 6.5CM wheelhouse.

Maybe some of you have Savage experience. I owned a 10FP years ago that shot pretty well and fed alright. My F-I-L owns a 11 in .223 that shoots pretty well too. It seems like more and more 'Salvages' have feeding/extraction problems lately, so I've got my fingers crossed. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

I'll blab more about it when I start doing load development etc... this winter. My F-I-L gets to carry around my heavy FN SPR A1 again for another season.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
I somewhat lowballed on a .01 cent opening bid on Gunbroker for a new Savage 110 Timberline. I'll typically throw out ~25% less than going rate...and as a result, I almost never win.

Well. I won today, which is actually almost something that I was hoping against. In the past few days I'd been looking for a hunting rifle for the F-I-L that my wife and girls could also use. I found a pretty inexpensive one in 6.5 Grendel that I already had everything for, but I'd already bid on this. Glad I waited.

This Savage is in 6.5 Creedmoor. I’ve avoided that chambering for years. I actually worked with Dennis Demille (one of the 6.5 CM creators) back when he was a range officer in the Marines. Fortunately, I have enough components (minus brass now) to get started....but I'm painfully low on powders in the 6.5CM wheelhouse.

Maybe some of you have Savage experience. I owned a 10FP years ago that shot pretty well and fed alright. My F-I-L owns a 11 in .223 that shoots pretty well too. It seems like more and more 'Salvages' have feeding/extraction problems lately, so I've got my fingers crossed. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

I'll blab more about it when I start doing load development etc... this winter. My F-I-L gets to carry around my heavy FN SPR A1 again for another season.

View attachment 6639
I have a savage in the 6.5 creedmoor grandson has one in Ruger American I have a couple good loads with 129 grain interlock and 143 grain ELDX both with H4350 powder

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a savage in the 6.5 creedmoor grandson has one in Ruger American I have a couple good loads with 129 grain interlock and 143 grain ELDX both with H4350 powder
Sweet. Hopefully your Savage is treating you well.

I'm limited to (100) 129gr SST, and (150) 120gr Nosler BT right now without buying more bullets. Ive also only 2lbs of Hybrid 100V, and a half pound of H4350. I do have another 3-1/2 lbs of IMR-4350, but I'm holding onto that as a potential 7mm RM powder with 150 class bullets...my first ever handloads with that powder yielded some excellent results.

I know H4350 is 'the powder for the 6.5 CM...but it is about as unobtainable as anything else.

I still have enough to give the rifle a start. As long as I can get sub-MOA I'll be content...way too much emphasis put on trying to wring out 1/4" groups by guys who are going to be hunting off of shooting sticks or leaning against a tree.

That and my F-I-L, while a wonderful man, is no Annie Oakley :D .

·
Registered
152 Posts
That'll hunt anywhere!
That's a dead critter sized group.
Y’all are 100% correct, and I lose sight of that fact and am always striving for basically “one hole” groups. I have gotten rid of some really good rifles over the years just because I couldn’t get them to shoot itty bitty groups.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Y’all are 100% correct, and I lose sight of that fact and am always striving for basically “one hole” groups. I have gotten rid of some really good rifles over the years just because I couldn’t get them to shoot itty bitty groups.
I frequently have to remind myself that my abilities are going to be the limiting factor...especially in the field.

Its when you see the results from benchrest shooters that the envy takes over, and your wallet gets light.

My biggest regret is that I have canned a few rifles that shot extraordinarily well because the cartridge wasn't as good as some others. Enough money to buy a small car later, and all I've managed to do is come full circle :confused:.

·
Super Moderator
10,999 Posts
No critters gonna stand and let you take bench rest group shots at it. While tight holes are great for competition it’s that first and maybe second shot that will matter in the field on a living creature.
If your shooting 2” groups at 2 or even 300y so what they are all still in the vitals and kill hits.
We routinely plink on a 6” gong at 300y at are city range. I’m not worried about a group but rather hitting it every time.

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
No critters gonna stand and let you take bench rest group shots at it. While tight holes are great for competition it’s that first and maybe second shot that will matter in the field on a living creature.
If your shooting 2” groups at 2 or even 300y so what they are all still in the vitals and kill hits.
We routinely plink on a 6” gong at 300y at are city range. I’m not worried about a group but rather hitting it every time.
Consistency!

Reactions: retrieverman
1 - 17 of 17 Posts