Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, thanks for having me on here. I'm new to turkey hunting AND somewhat new to Oklahoma. I was planning on going with a guide the first time to get the ropes but both ranches I've tried are booked. SO, any suggestions? Names or places where I can go with a guide? Any good public land within a days drive?

Thanks!

·
Administrator
13,768 Posts
Welcome to Oklahoma Hunter!
All 52 counties have huntable populations of wild turkey. Some more than others and techniques for each can be different.
We have easterns east of I35, and Rio's west of I35, and a few merriam's in the far west panhandle.
Rio's answer the best to calls, and are more vocal than Rio's.
Whats your location, and what part of the state are you looking to hunt?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A couple ranches I was looking at were basically straight south of OKC. Near Comanche. I'm up in Northeastern Oklahoma but obviously willing to drive. Just trying to get a feel for it. Probably best if I could get with a guide the first time out just to get the ropes and then go from there. Thanks all!

·
Administrator
13,768 Posts
the backwoods show is in Oklahoma City March 3rd-5th.
Backwoods Hunting and Fishing Expo
Most of the vendors there are guides and have operations around the state. If you don't see something you like from the guides, ask the Taxidermist that have displays at the show. They will know some guide services that may not be at the show

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Find a guide in the NW part if the state if you can find one with an opening. Little public land, tons of birds and a guide will have no trouble putting a bird in your lap.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I live in Lawton which is near Comanche. i hunt public land and it has been tough the the last to seasons.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Camp 306 on the Canadian River does Turkey, Hogs, Deer and yotes, Awesome spot and great people,, all I have is their email hunt @ camp 306 .com

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you everyone for your responses. I'm currently in the Tulsa area. I might just go check out that expo in OKC to see what's going on. Sounds fun. UPDATE- years back, our family sold our family farm up in Kansas as we couldn't take care of it anymore. Anyway, we got in contact with the owners of it (very friendly people) and they said they have some turkeys up there. I have yet to hear anything about kansas. Obviously this is an oklahoma forum but now wondering if anyone knows if that would be worth a weekend trip. The farm is in Hadam Kansas. Probably about 4-5 hour drive from Tulsa. Worth it? Not worth it? So far I've heard on this thread that it's been tough on public land in the areas around comanche the past couple years.

·
Administrator
13,768 Posts
I don't know much about hunting in Kansas for Turkey. I've hunted there a couple of times for pheasant in NW Ks.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
There's some good country around Hadam. We buy a lot of our bulls from a guy who lives just outside of Cuba, which is just east of there. I could ask him about turkey populations in that area.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
KS is pretty under rated as far as turkey goes. Around $120 for NR tag I think, it's been a couple of years since I hunted there for turkey.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The farm land we would have access to is in Hadam KS. Different terrain than SE Oklahoma it seems. Either Way, it's hunting so can't go too wrong I guess. Happy hunting everyone.

·
Super Moderator
10,704 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts