Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey. I'm from the tahlequah, Rose area. Used to hunt squirrel, blackbird (good of you know how to cook it) and rabbit. Got a couple of deer (with my vehicle) lol I'm looking to try wild hog hunting but don't know what I'm doing. Figured I'd join a group, make some friends and maybe learn something. =) Any one here hunt hogs?

·
Administrator
14,034 Posts
First of all, welcome to the forum!

I'm in Kay county, and Hunt in Kay and Grant county, We don't have many hogs up this way, what there is, are pretty much on the north end of Kaw lake on private ground. The deer hunters keep them thinned out during deer season.
South of you around Broken Bow, there are hogs galore. I have a friend that lives in Antlers, and traps dozens every year.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Welcome to the site, use to love the Secret Live of Walter Mitty way back when. You should be pretty close to some big #'s of lil piggies just to the SE of you on the old Werhouser lands.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
The Lawton area has some big oinkers here too.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
The Lawton area has some big oinkers here too.
Yep y'all do. Need to get back down there and get some of them lil oinkers.

·
Administrator
14,034 Posts
Still getting them on the Lake Lawtonka public area?
We need to do a pig drive as a GT.

·
Administrator
14,034 Posts
Is Gruber allowing huntin again? Seems I remember they had it shut down for awhile.

·
Super Moderator
10,983 Posts
Lots of ham and bacon around the Arbuckle area as well. Blue River area has a bunch too.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Yep, you can hunt Gruber, you have to go online and take a UXO course every year and you'll need to check in and see what areas are open. Good places to hunt there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How long you think I should bait them? And is there anything I need to know for safety sake before I head out there? Like hunt from a tree or something?

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
How long you think I should bait them? And is there anything I need to know for safety sake before I head out there? Like hunt from a tree or something?
Don't know about baiting, have to realize that you're on public land. If you bait up a lot of deer, everybody and anybody can hunt right where you wanted to. Last time I was there I don't think you'd need to. Find some acorns, look for a trail and sit and wait a bit. They are just about everywhere down there.
You are aware that James Collins is bow only except for the draw hunts for muzzle loader & gun?

·
Administrator
14,034 Posts
OK I'm picking up on a new hunter? No matter what, you have come to the right place.
We will do what we can to help.

First, deer have amazing smell. They can smell your scent, or can smell a food source from an amazing distance.
Let us know what your level of experience is, and we will go from there.

·
Administrator
14,034 Posts
Baiting is illegal on public grounds this year.
last year it was OK.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: Re: New Guy

OK I'm picking up on a new hunter? No matter what, you have come to the right place.
We will do what we can to help.

First, deer have amazing smell. They can smell your scent, or can smell a food source from an amazing distance.
Let us know what your level of experience is, and we will go from there.
Thank you for the help. I've only hunted squirrel, rabbit and black bird. With the exception of one grievously wounded deer. Witnessed it trying to commit suicide via pickup right in front of my home. Found it bleeding out every hole in it's head. breathing shallow and labored. Put it down drug it back butchered it up. yum.
I'm actually wanting to start out on wild hog because they don't have a season so I can get in more practice. Plus I love bacon and hot links. :)) it's the aggression of the hogs that worry me. I've heard a lot of guys talk about hunting from pickup bees but pretty sure Gruber wouldn't allow that.
In any case please, any advice on any prey is muchly appreciated.
Also if anyone knows of a wild game butcher not too awful far from me that still discounts for part of the meat I'd like to get acquainted with him.

Don't know about baiting, have to realize that you're on public land. If you bait up a lot of deer, everybody and anybody can hunt right where you wanted to. Last time I was there I don't think you'd need to. Find some acorns, look for a trail and sit and wait a bit. They are just about everywhere down there.
You are aware that James Collins is bow only except for the draw hunts for muzzle loader & gun?
I was unaware if the gun restriction thank you.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
First thing you and any new or old hunter needs to do is pick up a copy of this years hunting regulations. It's has a list and location of all the public huntin areas and what is open to hunt and how. Very important book, heck I've read it a hundred times and miss things that's been in it for years.

·
Administrator
14,034 Posts
I need to look at the baiting restriction on public ground.
My question would be if the "no baiting" on public ground is only for deer hunting, or would baiting for hogs be legal when it's not deer season.
I'm on my phone right now, so I'll look it up later

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I wasn't even aware you could get a copy of the regulations. I figured it was like all other laws and you had to wade through the digital stacks of the OK legislature to find what you need to know.
I'll be looking into this.
My only internet connection is my phone and it has a 3rd world speed out here. That is, when it has a signal at all.

·
Administrator
14,034 Posts
The regulations are online and accessible with your phone.
Wildlifedepartment.com

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
I wasn't even aware you could get a copy of the regulations. I figured it was like all other laws and you had to wade through the digital stacks of the OK legislature to find what you need to know.
I'll be looking into this.
My only internet connection is my phone and it has a 3rd world speed out here. That is, when it has a signal at all.
Heck no, there's piles of them at Wal Mart on the counters and other stores. And online at www.wildlifedepartment.com

1 - 20 of 21 Posts