Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently got relo'd to OKC area from the North GA mountains. Was different terrain, for sure, but what the heck, I'm game... Left behind a couple decades of hunting knowledge and familiarity....so I'm a good listener...teach me about deer hunting in OK. I'm up for anything...deer, turkey (fall turkey season? Fantastic!) or hogs....bow, ML or rifle...I like it all.

First order of business is to find a place to hunt. Can anyone point me to a good source to find a small lease? Or something big that I could go in on with a few responsible hunters?

Had a really good outdoor forum in GA that I participated in (GON.com). Hope this one ends up being as fulfilling. Met lots of good folks through that one. Hope to do the same here.
Thanks
GAdadinOK.

·
Administrator
15,664 Posts
Welcome to Oklahoma Hunter!
I have a hunting buddy that migrated to Ok from the Dalton Georgia area several years ago.

We have a thread that is stickied in the hunting forum that lists the public lands that is owned by the Corps of Engineers.

You can also access the wildlife management areas listed on the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife web site.

It used to be you could just knock on doors and get permission to hunt, but as the word got out about how good the hunting is in this state, outfitters from all over the country started leasing large swaths of land charging a fortune to hunt.
Folks from Tx can’t afford to hunt the high fence areas in their home state so they are buying and leasing land in Ok.
Okla also has what is called OLAP.
The wildlife department is leasing private land for public hunting and fishing. There is a map on their web page you can use along with an app on your phone, the name of which escapes me at the moment to locate the properties.
Other than that you can find properties to lease using Craig’s List and newspaper classifieds.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Reactions: Bullbuster

·
Administrator
15,664 Posts
We also have a hunting/fishing contest going that just started. You can sign up anytime and be assigned a team.

Reactions: Bullbuster

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Both Mike and Dennis gave you two solid tips! Lot of us on here own Mike Miller blades and if you don’t win and are in need of a good knife that’s the contact.
Lot of good public land if you are willing to not hunt over a pile of corn. I’m not knocking it, my goal is filling out freezers by any legal means. Just saying public might be a bigger challenge

·
Super Moderator
13,239 Posts
Welcome to Oklahoma Hunter. Next year apply for some of the limited quota draw hunts. Some are easier to draw than others. You have the Arcadia Lake archery hunt, Thunderbird archery hunt as well as the Lexington WMA & Grady County WMA. I hunted the Grady WMA many times with success.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Oklahoma has lots of good public land, although there doesn't seem to be much near OKC. I'm near Tulsa, and I've hunted at Cookson a few times. What I've found is that there's several food plots people don't know about because they don't look at satellite maps, and if you're willing to walk aways in rough terrain, you'll probably get some action.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oklahoma has lots of good public land, although there doesn't seem to be much near OKC. I'm near Tulsa, and I've hunted at Cookson a few times. What I've found is that there's several food plots people don't know about because they don't look at satellite maps, and if you're willing to walk aways in rough terrain, you'll probably get some action.
Not afraid to get off the beaten path a few miles, so will have to check some of those out. Last place I lived, I was able to hunt the 35 acres I lived on, but there was also a 17k acre WMA about 4 miles away, so I never lacked for a place to scout/hunt. New guy, new state....lots to learn.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Welcome. I'm a public-only hunter and while I'm most familiar with only a handful of public spots, there's plenty of opportunity if you're willing to work for it throughout the state on public land. Bow hunting gives you the most opportunity for whitetails, up to 6 tags and 3.5 months of season that runs concurrently with other seasons. In my experience, hunting pressure on most public lands falls on it's face as soon as rifle season ends, there's a good amount of fair weather hunters in this state. If you're willing to set out in the cold with a bow in hand, there's plenty of late season deer to be had. Bonus pigs pop up every now and then on public spots where you can legally shoot them.

I used to go after small game, birds and waterfowl in my younger years, but now bowhunting deer is about all I have time for. There's plenty of experience on this board to help you out, whatever your endeavors. Good luck this season.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts