Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Administrator
13,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
House Bill 1673, sponsored by Rep. Kevin West, would allow for an individual to carry a firearm in the designated bar area of a restaurant as long as that person is not consuming alcohol.

House Bill 2401, sponsored by Rep. Todd Russ, creates a restoration of rights process that will allow those convicted of nonviolent felonies, to reestablish their Second Amendment rights following a certain period of time with a clean record.

House Bill 2475, sponsored by Rep. Wendi Stearman, would prevent the use of public funds from being used to advocate against the Second Amendment.

House Bill 2645, sponsored by Rep. Jon Echols, is an omnibus bill with clean up language for Oklahoma’s Constitutional Carry law.

Senate Joint Resolution 21 updates the state constitution to “shall not be infringed” and enhances the Second Amendment protections therein.

Senate Bill 443, sponsored by Sen. Nathan Dahm, allows for the carry of a firearm in the State Capitol by an individual with an SDA License.

Senate Bill 672, sponsored by Sen. Casey Murdock, cleans up state law to allow for the transportation of a long gun in a motor vehicle.

Senate Bill 767, sponsored by Sen. David Bullard, allows designated school personnel with an SDA License to carry a firearm for self-defense while on school grounds.

These are all pro gun proposals. Contact your State house and Senate legislators and let them know you want their vote to support these bills.

·
Super Moderator
10,532 Posts
Good deal for OK. Hope they all make it into law.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
I foresee a big fight between the states and the feds over gun control coming up.

Reactions: kwaynem

·
Registered
86 Posts
Oh, yeah, Bird - not a question of IF but WHEN. I do believe they'll have a hard time with states like OK/TX enforcing a federal mandate given the number of gun enthusiasts and hunters. Not saying a Fed policy won't happen, just enforcing will be tough.

·
Registered
86 Posts
In my opinion Kwaynem, that basically shows that a large number of people getting stimulus checks don't really need them. If everyone is hurting so bad, they should boost unemployment or use these checks as a way to 'coerce' someone off unemployment and back to work. It also wouldn't be too hard to check SS and see if recipients are working or not by paying payroll taxes. If you've not been laid off and still making the same income as pre-Covid, I don't think you should get a check(s). TOTALLY just my opinion. Personally, my wife and I don't need the checks. Am I sending them back, NO. HELL NO actually. I'm paying for this via my taxes. However, I am 'giving' more away with my food orders/restaurants tips and a little extra for servers plus we have young adults in our family who we help out a little here and there. Not 1000's but an extra 20 or 50 here and there.
Heck, at $30 for a box of 50 in 9mm, my days plinking at the range are now limited to .22!!

·
Administrator
13,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In my opinion Kwaynem, that basically shows that a large number of people getting stimulus checks don't really need them. If everyone is hurting so bad, they should boost unemployment or use these checks as a way to 'coerce' someone off unemployment and back to work. It also wouldn't be too hard to check SS and see if recipients are working or not by paying payroll taxes. If you've not been laid off and still making the same income as pre-Covid, I don't think you should get a check(s). TOTALLY just my opinion. Personally, my wife and I don't need the checks. Am I sending them back, NO. HELL NO actually. I'm paying for this via my taxes. However, I am 'giving' more away with my food orders/restaurants tips and a little extra for servers plus we have young adults in our family who we help out a little here and there. Not 1000's but an extra 20 or 50 here and there.
Heck, at $30 for a box of 50 in 9mm, my days plinking at the range are now limited to .22!!
We don't need it either. I know there are tons of folks out there that do though and we try to support them as well with that check.
Last stimulus, we paid a guy that just bought a dump truck to bring us 10 loads of gravel to repair our road and referred him to others that took advantage of his trucking company.
He has since bought two more dump trucks and hires firefighters that are on their days off to help his business grow.
It's great to see someones dream of being an independent business person actually work.

·
Super Moderator
10,532 Posts
I think it’s funny Biden wants to take guns then gives out stimulus money and people use it to buy more guns and ammo
What better way to spend it than on guns and ammo!

·
Super Moderator
10,532 Posts
As foster parents to 4 kids ages 1-10. DHS has cut back on the subsidies we were given per child. We were paying far more out of pocket that we received. Those checks helped us out big time. With 6 kids and 2 adults in the house the cost of things add up fast.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Think I read somewhere that Bidens bunch want the next stimulus checks to be reported as earned income and taxed. So you'd be paying taxes on the tax money that the gov "gave" you.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
1. I have a pension which I paid into for years and now draw from.
2. I draw social security.
3. I am fully retired. I do not work
4. I am 73 years old.
5. I have heart disease issues.
6. I have been isolated for the past year.
7. I have groceries delivered by ShipT
8. I have a meal occasionally delivered by DoorDash.
9. Must do shopping is done online, with home delivery and curbside pick if possible.

When I started writing this I was going to support those who say some are getting stimulus check who really don't need them. I felt like I was one of those, who didn't deserve a check. Then I wrote those last three items.

Number 6 comes at the strong urging of our personal physicians to avoid possible exposure to COVID. I have Heart disease as well as being old. Wife has lung damage for blood clots. Using the services of ShipT and DoorDash cost us extra money. Extra shipping charges from have common items shipped, have affected us also. One thing we have been doing is increasing the tip amount from the default with DoorDash and ShipT. So that stimulus check helps us also and we are passing it on.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Oops sorry this topic drifted and I contributed, my apologies to the OP.

To bring it back on topic,

Senate Joint Resolution 21 updates the state constitution to “shall not be infringed” and enhances the Second Amendment protections therein.

I am not totally in favor of this. Way back in the 80's in college I was assigned to write a term paper on the Second Amendment. At first glance it appears to be pretty clear cut. But it isn't.

Reading that black and white phrase , then the government can not pass a law making possession of arms illegal. Yet we have all kinds of laws banning all kinds of arms. Remember the U.S. Constitution does not say guns, it says arms.

The Supreme court has ruled that local jurisdictions can constitutionally make laws regulating arms. (college was 35 years ago so no citation) For example, felons in possession of a firearm, prohibition on switch blade knives and blackjacks, no guns in schools, etc.

A law regulating arms is that an infringement? As long it still allows possession is it infringing on the right to keep and bear? It appears denying a felon possion of a firearm certainly seems an infringement of his rights.

The phrase "...shall not be infringed" is too vague. Look up all the meanings of the word infringe some time. Absent something defining the meaning intended for infringe, this is a wasted effort. We need some stronger, unquestionable language.

·
Super Moderator
10,532 Posts
Bullbuster, hats off for fostering those 4 kids! Hopefully the govt will give you the same amount for each like they do someone's own children.
It’s been a rough road for sure doing it. I wanna throat punch a few parents for being stupidly at times but I can’t. No we don’t get any extra COVID pay for them. We had been paying for daycare out of pocket because they stopped paying for it. Sense I worked knights they said I was still able to be home and care for them. No sleep wasn’t a factor for them. Now I’m on days and we get daycare paid for. That alone is $1k a month we don’t have to spend now.

·
Registered
299 Posts
If I were in the group who recieved a stimulus check I would forgo necessities to buy guns and ammo. In this day and time it may be more important than food and other things we consume. Unfortunately I don't get the gubment handout but I payed enough taxes this last year to provide checks for 70 to 80 people. I would like to think those people are now familiarizing themselve with their new AR-15

·
Administrator
13,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oops sorry this topic drifted and I contributed, my apologies to the OP.

To bring it back on topic,

I am not totally in favor of this. Way back in the 80's in college I was assigned to write a term paper on the Second Amendment. At first glance it appears to be pretty clear cut. But it isn't.

Reading that black and white phrase , then the government can not pass a law making possession of arms illegal. Yet we have all kinds of laws banning all kinds of arms. Remember the U.S. Constitution does not say guns, it says arms.

The Supreme court has ruled that local jurisdictions can constitutionally make laws regulating arms. (college was 35 years ago so no citation) For example, felons in possession of a firearm, prohibition on switch blade knives and blackjacks, no guns in schools, etc.

A law regulating arms is that an infringement? As long it still allows possession is it infringing on the right to keep and bear? It appears denying a felon possion of a firearm certainly seems an infringement of his rights.

The phrase "...shall not be infringed" is too vague. Look up all the meanings of the word infringe some time. Absent something defining the meaning intended for infringe, this is a wasted effort. We need some stronger, unquestionable language.

Interesting read here.
What I read in Webster's definition of infringe said "INFRINGE implies an encroachment clearly violating a right or prerogative. "
We have a Constitution that gives us rights. So to me and my understanding "Shall Not Be Infringed" in the 2nd amendment meets the definition of Webster.

AMENDMENT II
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
The weak word in that definition is IMPLIES. Implies is not specific, it is subjective.

We need something much more specific and and emphatic.

"Leave my damn guns alone" won't work either.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts