Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad has a Remington 11-48 12ga that he’s had my entire life. He used to use it pheasant hunting and complained about it kicking and being too heavy. It started malfunctioning on him so we got him an 1100. The shotguns been in his closet for many moons. I asked if he remembered what the malfunction was and he said it would fire 1 round and not load another. If you load up the tube with 4 rounds and manually cycle them, they all load and eject fine. I figured all the springs were wore out. I recently came across a gun shop online called Arts gun shop. Art kinda specializes in rebuild kits for old shotguns. I figured my dads could use an overhaul. I called up Art and ordered a kit. It came with new recoil spring, action spring, and mag tube spring, and new plug. While i had him on phone I asked if he had a kit for an 11-48 16ga I recently acquired, since I figured it was gonna have wore out springs too. He said he had action and recoil springs. I said send em on. I stripped dads completely down. Removing all old springs and trigger assembly. A lot of people don’t realize there’s an action spring in the buttstock. Dads had it to gunsmiths before and they couldn’t figure out why it wouldn’t function properly. Art said a lot of gunsmiths didn’t know there was a spring in the buttstock and therefore never replaced em. As you can see in the pics, the new springs are longer than the old. While I had it apart I gave it a thorough cleaning. Since this is a recoil operated shotgun, I paid extra attention to the recoil spring and the mag tube. They need to be clean and dry. I cleaned the friction ring too. This is another reason these old recoil operated shotguns malfunction. Hunters spray lube all over this area thinking it’s gonna help the action work better. It does not. It just makes it where the shotgun is gonna beat the crap out of you. Gotta be dry. The friction is what slows the recoil. So if friction ring is all greasy it’s not gonna let it function as designed. So now I have it all cleaned and reassembled. Except the recoil pad. It is hard as a rock and brittle. Gonna have to get a new one. Haven’t test fired yet, but will let y’all know if it’s working properly or not.

Attachments

·
Administrator
16,037 Posts
What a great project, restoring your dads old gun.
I’m really interested in how this rebuild goes.
I learned something tonight about the friction rings.

·
Super Moderator
13,434 Posts
That’s a fine piece of weaponry.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts