Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what new toys y'all getting for this fall?

I need to upgrade from my O/U one of these days. I love it and it will shoot a double right after taking a swim. But I wish I had that 3rd shot now and then.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Still need to take some of last years toys out to play. Got the cross bow and Brownie shot gun to get some game with. Did pick up a used Lee Pro 1000 rigged up for 9mm that I haven't had a chance to use yet.

·
Super Moderator
10,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool. All I have really gotten in the off season is some new decoys.

·
Administrator
14,034 Posts
I just ordered a pop up blind. I've been using the ones that use the spring steel hoops. They work really well until the Ok wind picks them up and breaks the fiberglass roof supports.
The one I'm getting has the hub style. Not as compact, but hopefully stronger. Cabellas bargain cave has them 50% off

·
Registered
840 Posts
Okay, I'm checking out Cabela's as soon as I log off here! ;)

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Dennis, the hub one's set up fast but they suck worse then the spring steel in the wind.
I set one up 2 day before season- Turkey Season & the entire thing tore & broke.
The Spring Steel are the only way to go. Love um.
I got 2 last year for under $40.00 a pop @ Atwoods during a X-Mas sale.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
O' I got a Browning A-500G that needs something besides clays to chew on.
Me & Bird shot triples with her already.
He tried to take her home with him also..He's sneaky :p :p ;D ;D ;) 8) Got to watch him closely. ;D ;D

·
Administrator
14,034 Posts
Dennis, the hub one's set up fast but they suck worse then the spring steel in the wind.
I set one up 2 day before season- Turkey Season & the entire thing tore & broke.
The Spring Steel are the only way to go. Love um.
I got 2 last year for under .00 a pop @ Atwoods during a X-Mas sale.
Bass pro has two for $100 of the spring steel. My main problem is the corners where you stake them down are very weak, and they rip out. All of a sudden you sitting on a stool in the open by yourself, and the blind is flying around like mary poppins. :mad:

I may get screwed by this one, but its on the way, so we'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
O' I got a Browning A-500G that needs something besides clays to chew on.
Me & Bird shot triples with her already.
He tried to take her home with him also..He's sneaky :p :p ;D ;D ;) 8) Got to watch him closely. ;D ;D
Can't blame a guy for tryin' !!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Dennis,
Last deer gun season the spring steel stood up to 40-50mph the night before & nothing needed to be done the morning after.
It really held up beyond all expectations.
3D is the company that put them out for Atwoods.

Hope your hub design works out for ya. O let us know what ya think of it.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Bird,
Can't blame you for trying.
Just glad you got your Browning up & running for this up coming season.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
I did find out that you can't "limp wrist" or in this case limp shoulder it on light loads or it'll jam up like it did before. Guess that's the price you pay for versatility. ;D

·
Administrator
14,034 Posts
I did find out that you can't "limp wrist" or in this case limp shoulder it on light loads or it'll jam up like it did before. Guess that's the price you pay for versatility. ;D
Yep, recoil operated shotguns require a good shoulder mount.
They also have different recoil springs that can be bought from Brownells. Could it be you have a heavy load spring in your A5 while trying to shoot dove load?

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Mine's a Gold Hunter with the valve system. Just need to fine tune the stock so it'll throw like an 870 that I've shot for eons or get use to the new feel of the Brownie. Remmy's have always just fit seems like, 1100's and 870's, I've already had the front bead raised but might need to shim the stock a bit for a good final fit.

·
Administrator
14,034 Posts
Mine is the old style, where springs have to be changed. It must be set for heavy loads as I use it for pheasant hunting at times, and it shoots them great.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
The old A5's were set up that way with changing out springs & rings. Recoil operated.

The Gold Hunter has the active valve witch is gas operated.
Bird just has issues ::) ??? ::) ;D ..I shot the same gun with no problem. 8)

·
Super Moderator
10,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ya but I recall a time to assembled a gun wrong for opening morning. Boy was you a PO'd hunter that morning.

Quackhead I want a maxis as well. We looking to trade my safe for it but I had to seel it for needed money. But I'm gonna figure out a way to get me one sooner than later I hope.

·
Administrator
14,034 Posts
Had a JC Higgins 12ga pump years ago. Opening day of dove season, got in the field, and remembered there was no plug in the shotgun.
Cut off a piece of sunflower stalk to use, but when taking the end cap off of the magazine tube, the spring was hung a little, and then finally came out of there flying end over end until it landed in the river. Never did find it. Had a single shot for the rest of the day. ::)

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have an 870 I won in a turkey calling contest this past spring that has yet to kill anything, so I will be taking it after doves and maybe fall turkey if I can find a place to hunt! I am also going to get a new game cam since one of mine crapped out, thinking about a primos truth cam 35, seems to have the best reviews of the cams in my price range.
Oh yeah, I picked up a new muzzleloader last winter and I need to sight it in for the fall, too! It is a Traditions Vortek and if is shoots as good as it looks, it should be sweet!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts