Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about next years hunting and bringing one of the Grand daughters out from Maryland for a deer hunt with me.

I see that they can get an apprentice license and hunt directly with me.

I also see that ODWC offers an online hunter safety course. Is that course available to non-residents?

She doesn't need Hunter safety for the apprentice license, but if she can take the course on line, then a little bit of knowledge won't hurt.

·
Super Moderator
11,573 Posts
The Oklahoma hunter Ed online is a very easy simple course it will take about eight hours

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, yes I saw the apprentice rule. But Grampa rule would require hunter safety course. She has to put out some effort showing she wants this. And a little knowledge doesn't hurt.

Just talked to the Wife. The Okie Granddaughter who lives next door has been promised by her father the Montana Outfitter a deer hunt up there. We don't think that will ever happen. Wife says we take both girls hunting. They are the same age.

I need to talk to my Outfitter. Youth season is mid October.

·
Super Moderator
11,573 Posts
$280 non resident Oklahoma Deer. $332 non resident Montana Youth Deer Combo.

Off course I am talking 2022 season here.

I would give up my seat for this hunt to happen for the Granddaughters to hunt.
For those prices you can come hunt Wyoming lol

·
Registered
345 Posts
I guided a 10 year old fella and his dad from Alabama this weekend. We passed a dozen bucks over a couple days waiting on a particular deer until the kid couldn't take it any longer and finally let him take one. Noce deer for a youngster. His dad is coming back for rifle opener with 3 other guys. Hoping to get on some bigger deer I've got my eye on.
Plant Hat Sky People in nature Happy
Plant Plant community Grass Groundcover Terrestrial animal

·
Administrator
14,527 Posts
That kid is going to be spoiled from here on out! Nice buck!

Reactions: kwaynem

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That kid got a bigger whitetail than any I ever got. Nice buck! I aspire to get one that nice some day.

For those prices you can come hunt Wyoming lol
Yes license wise cheaper but travel to and from OKC-gas food and lodging inroute offset the savings.

I am already on the hook for flying her out from Maryland.

Already having second thoughts on this. When I suggested to my son that he might want to come out and hunt with us, he responded:

"I'm more aligned to sending her on a grandparent adventure of her own."

Is there a message in that? Humm. :)

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I had my first conversation with my Granddaughter about this. She is 14 and will be 15 next year if we do this. I was ready for the "I don't want to kill bambi" argument.

I laid out the whole plan. I would fly her out from Maryland and we would drive down to Altus to the Outfitter. She would have to have her learners permit to share the driving. (she doesn't need to drive,but it gets her wheel time) We would have to share bunk room. We would apprentice hunt, I would be side her the whole time. She would still have to do the online hunter safety course. (my requirement). She was okay with the idea.

I asked here if she had any concerns or worries. She had one. She said she was concerned about flying alone from Baltimore to OKC. Humm.

·
Super Moderator
11,573 Posts
Send it!! Book it and have a good time.

Reactions: dennishoddy

·
Administrator
14,527 Posts
I've guided many kids at that age and younger with a parent for a neighbor that brings in clients to help take all the does required in our DMAP program.
In all the years, never saw a kid have a problem watching a deer being field dressed.
They are actually pretty curious. It helped when bringing out the internals to show them what a liver or what was left of a lung/heart looked like.
It also gave them a lesson on how devastating a firearm can be and the fallacy of what happens in their video games vs the real world.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dennis, her dad (my son) besides working at a regular full time job also runs 80 head of sheep for wool and meat. There is a ethnic market for meat animals in the area. The Granddaughter are fully involved in the operation. Lambing, shearing, tail docking, shots, care, herding etc. The meat animals are sold whole-alive so they aren't involved in the kill process. The girls are aware of dead and dying animals.

This will make it easier, if there is even problem, but indeed as you say she will get that additional life lesson about what is inside an animal. She already understand that meat doesn't come from just a shelf in the grocery store. When I asked her about the dressing and skinning part she said she has seen her dad do it a bunch of times. I think we have that part covered,

1 - 16 of 16 Posts