Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get a call from my daughter a little after 9 this morning, and she’s crying and apologizing. I finally get her calmed down, and she tells me she’s been in a wreck. She’s ok, the other driver’s ok, but her Jeep isn’t. Fortunately, we have good insurance, and the wreck wasn’t her fault. An AT&T truck pulled out right in front of her as she topped a hill. She was going slow enough that her airbags didn’t deploy.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Super Moderator
12,623 Posts
Glad she’s OK, and the other driver as well.
AT&T has good insurance and will pay out quickly.
The airbags should deploy at any speed over 10 mph. I’d be calling the dealership you got it if it’s new.

Reactions: retrieverman

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
First off thank GOD she is okay and second as has been said already airbags should have deployed and seatbelts should have locked upon an impact that don’t that kind of damage. Maybe a good thing for her that they didn’t but you need to be looking more into that. Any known recalls? I know this isn’t what’s on your mind after that call and not trying to take away from it but definitely look more into that and let us know what you find out. Prayers for your daughter I know she will be sore tomorrow when the rush is gone.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
She has told me all day she isn’t sore, and she felt good enough to go to her second lifeguard training class this evening.

We looked at a lot of vehicles to find that one. It was a lease return with 14,000 miles on it and was sold by the dealership as “certified” (if that really means anything).

The airbags not deploying bothers me, but I had a friend point out that the “trigger” is usually behind the bumper. The truck may have been high enough that her bumper didn’t make good contact because the car was nosediving as she slowing down at the time.

·
Super Moderator
12,623 Posts
Glad to hear she’s doing well. Glad she was able to attend her training. The nose dive does bring up a valid point but they should have sensors on the corners as well. What make and model is it?
Thanks for the update. I couldn’t help but to think of my daughter and her boyfriend coming from OKC next week.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Been shopping around for a new pickup lately and I’ll tell you now “certified” is just a way to mark up a used vehicle and make it sound like candy. From what I’ve seen “certified” gives you a three month 3k warranty for 9k+ price tag and is usually only on vehicles still under somewhat of a factory warranty like the jeep in question probably was. “Certified” should be a standard on anything other than a person/person sale.

·
Super Moderator
12,623 Posts
I sold my F-150 back in July. I ran into the guy who bought it in the Walmart parking lot 2 days ago. Same rear bumper dent and broken molding cap on the passenger side step. I told him it was my old truck and how he liked it. He asked if I had any issues and I told him all the issues I had with it. Apparently they fixed most of them. Asked what he paid for it. Said $18k and I about laughed. I had it for 2 years and put about 100k miles on it and I only paid $20k for it. I wanted to tell him he got ripped off. One reason I’ll never buy from them again.

·
Administrator
15,152 Posts
Glad you daughter was OK in the wreck. That's the most important part.
There is a lot of criteria required for air bags to deploy, some of which may not have been met in this collision. Yes it looks horrible but cars are designed to crush in a controlled manner to prevent occupant injury. A lesson that Nascar and F1 racing brought to the main stream auto manufacturing.
All vehicles in the US have a standard they have to follow.
There is a MEMS accelerometer, a small circuit with integrated mechanical elements. These microscopic elements will capture and recognize sudden deceleration, then send a signal to trigger the airbag. In the United States, the minimum speed for airbag deployment is 23 km/h (14 mph). The MEMS may have not gotten enough impact information to deploy which appears to be a good thing since she make lifeguard training.
I've seen people after the bags have deployed, and some sustain injuries like broken bones in the face and other injuries. It's a 60 milisecond deployment that is very violent.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts