Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wal-Mart has a o/u shotgun for a pretty low price the brand is Tristar i know nothing about them but from what i have read on the world wide web they might be a steal for the price. Any of you fine folks got any real world run ins with this gun or brand? Keep in mind you get what you pay for i stand behind that but for something cheap not getting shot a ton.... or do you know of something better around the same price point?

·
Administrator
13,579 Posts
I haven't heard anything bad about the Tristar. I know they are not suited for one seriously interested in volume trap shooting, but they will last many afternoons in the back yard busting clays.
Most of the objections I've seen are the fit and finish, but you don't get great fit and finish without paying for it.
Don't think I'd have a problem owning one.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I won a 12 gauge automatic Tri-Star in a raffle and It currently sits in my office in 2 ziplock bags. Shot maybe 500 rounds through it and the firing pin bent and broke. Got a replacement and a few hundred more rounds and the entire action came loose in the receiver. Sent the entire gun in to get fixed and it was awol for about 5 months. Finally got it back and was dove hunting with it when it did the exact thing again. By now this $5 raffle ticket was costing me more than what it was worth.
I would have to think the O/U should be ok since it has less moving parts. I’d be curious how they shot as far as POI and % of top barrel to % of bottom barrel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
13,579 Posts
That's not a good report at all.
I'm wondering if the O/U is more reliable. That's the only one I'm familiar with.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I’ve read several other forums about Tri-Star. Majority say run, run away of the automatics. The opinion on the O/U guns varies. Read where several people went to pattern their shotguns and would have bottom barrel shoot several inches over aim point and the same for top barrel shooting high, low or left or right. On the positive side several say they really like their O/U and thought it was a great shotgun for the price.

·
Administrator
13,579 Posts
I’ve read several other forums about Tri-Star. Majority say run, run away of the automatics. The opinion on the O/U guns varies. Read where several people went to pattern their shotguns and would have bottom barrel shoot several inches over aim point and the same for top barrel shooting high, low or left or right. On the positive side several say they really like their O/U and thought it was a great shotgun for the price.

Pretty much what I'm hearing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I haven't heard anything bad about the Tristar. I know they are not suited for one seriously interested in volume trap shooting, but they will last many afternoons in the back yard busting clays.
Most of the objections I've seen are the fit and finish, but you don't get great fit and finish without paying for it.
Don't think I'd have a problem owning one.
How much do you think it is?

·
Administrator
13,579 Posts
How much do you think it is?
I’ve never priced one of the O/U’s.
I am a new owner of a Tristan semiauto 12 ga with 3 1/2” chambers.
Won it at a DU banquet as the early bird prize.
I’ve put a box of 1 5/8 oz turkey loads through it without a hiccup.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
It's a good looking shotgun and I guess you couldn't beat the price!! Sweet pistol, too.

Reactions: dennishoddy

·
Super Moderator
10,522 Posts
That’s nice looking.

Reactions: dennishoddy
1 - 13 of 13 Posts