Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Maybe. I have to check the wind. I only have 80 acres to hunt, so I am going to try to not let my excitement get in the way of hunting smart. Especially since there are two good bucks hanging out here.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
I'm planning on being in the stand in the morning. Good luck everyone.

·
Administrator
14,060 Posts
Maybe. I have to check the wind. I only have 80 acres to hunt, so I am going to try to not let my excitement get in the way of hunting smart. Especially since there are two good bucks hanging out here.
Same here. My primo spot is only 22 acres in the middle of a section. North winds in the morning won't allow me to go there unless its a south wind.

I have a back up plan on another place I farm. It gets hit pretty hard all around it, so not much there but little bucks and does. Beats being at work though!

·
Super Moderator
11,012 Posts
Well y'all fill a tag or two for me.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I will be firmly planted in my backup stand in the pm for an evening hunt. On a new piece of land.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
So far I've seen 8. Closest was 330 yards. All appear to be does and yearlings. I did have 2 ***** climb my ladder and try get in stand with me. I had the 5.7 out ready to defend myself. It was still dark and I didn't want to shoot unless I had to. I moved around and they decided to leave.

·
Administrator
14,060 Posts
I saw 8 as well. All does.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I saw 2 this morning first light, shot one, went to the truck to drop off my gear, went back down and jumped one off my plot (2 yards from the bloody arrow). Finnallt found mine, neighbor came back with the fouwheeler and jumped two off of the plot again. I hunted the SAME stand tonight and saw 3 does and a little 6. Passed on about 1 hour worth of shots.

·
Administrator
14,060 Posts
I saw 2 this morning first light, shot one, went to the truck to drop off my gear, went back down and jumped one off my plot (2 yards from the bloody arrow). Finnallt found mine, neighbor came back with the fouwheeler and jumped two off of the plot again. I hunted the SAME stand tonight and saw 3 does and a little 6. Passed on about 1 hour worth of shots.
Did your get a doe or buck?

Congrats either way ;)

·
Administrator
14,060 Posts
I went out this evening, and just about got seasick from the tree stand I was in, waving around in the wind. I couldn't have hit anything anyway, with all of the movement, so got down and left.

A big bonus was that while going to hunt the place, I always stop about 1/2 mile before getting there to get the gear and clothes ready, so that when arriving I just step out of the truck and move away from it.

A guy stopped by, and asked if I was having trouble. Told him I was just getting ready to hunt the river place. We visited a bit, and he told me I could hunt a quarter two miles north of where I was headed.
Drove over there this evening, and its like a jungle. Huge trees got blown over this spring, and are laying like chop stix everywhere.

Its going to be a tough place to hunt at best, but I'll get it scouted tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
11,012 Posts
It may be a jungle and a pile of trees but it could also be a good hide out and betting area for the deer. I've jumped quite a few deer from areas that had a bunch of fallen timber. Never saw them laying in amongst the logs as many of the logs were so big. Now this was full on big timber forest and I was after Columbia Blacktail deer in Cal so whitetail could be different.
Hope you find good sign scouting it all out tomorrow.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts