Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I retired from the DOD after 36 years a few weeks ago and am ready to work on my hunting bucket list. One dream is to kill the turkey slam with my bow.....I’ve killed a bunch of Easterns but have never hunted Rios or Merriams. I have a hunt scheduled for WY Apr 22-25 but would like to give public land in OK and KS a try on the way out to WY. Any one care to PM me with a jumping off place? If you know of any private land where I could pay a trespass fee I’d love to hear that as well. Thanks and God bless! John

·
Super Moderator
10,661 Posts
What part of NE WY you going? The black hills area? I’m in south central WY but have yet to hunt Turkey here. James Collins WMA near lake Eufala has lots of Turkey.

Reactions: Bird (this time)

·
Administrator
13,740 Posts
Oklahoma has three specie of turkey. The Panhandle has merriam, the areas west of I-35 has Rio's with Easterns East of I-35.
The line is not drawn around that highway, but is where the habitat changes that benefit each specie. Some exist on each side but that is basically the line on where one needs to look when choosing which specie to hunt.
I would suggest to log on to the Oklahoma department of wildlife website. Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation | Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation
They put up a pretty good turkey report for the Wildlife management areas they are responsible for with public hunting.
I had a "get a turkey anytime you want" place for years, but a freak 90 mph wind storm took down the roost trees so there are no turkey there now or I'd work with you for a hunt.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Welcome to the OK Forum John! I don't know John personally but feel he's got a heart bigger than most. If you have time, read these 3 posts from Bowsite. John started giving away a tricked out bow to youth that were interested in archery and are good kids needing a little break in life. You can see the response and effect it had on these 2 young men this past year. I was honored to be able to help out with some arrows and will step up with something each time it's offered.

Can't help you on a turkey hunt John but let me know where you end up going and maybe can meet for an iced tea or a cold adult beverage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oklahoma has three specie of turkey. The Panhandle has merriam, the areas west of I-35 has Rio's with Easterns East of I-35.
The line is not drawn around that highway, but is where the habitat changes that benefit each specie. Some exist on each side but that is basically the line on where one needs to look when choosing which specie to hunt.
I would suggest to log on to the Oklahoma department of wildlife website. Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation | Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation
They put up a pretty good turkey report for the Wildlife management areas they are responsible for with public hunting.
I had a "get a turkey anytime you want" place for years, but a freak 90 mph wind storm took down the roost trees so there are no turkey there now or I'd work with you for a hunt.
Thanks for the info, I’ll check it out for sure! John

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome to the OK Forum John! I don't know John personally but feel he's got a heart bigger than most. If you have time, read these 3 posts from Bowsite. John started giving away a tricked out bow to youth that were interested in archery and are good kids needing a little break in life. You can see the response and effect it had on these 2 young men this past year. I was honored to be able to help out with some arrows and will step up with something each time it's offered.

Can't help you on a turkey hunt John but let me know where you end up going and maybe can meet for an iced tea or a cold adult beverage.
Thanks for the kind words! Will be doing another giveaway in June! Love helping kids out

1 - 7 of 7 Posts