Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok y'all being new to OKC I'd like to know what y'all favor for long gun hunting.

I love my Rem 7mm Mag to death. I ain't been able to hunt with it the last 4 years as Virginia didn't allow rifles for hunting in the area i was at. So its been bow, M/L, and shotgun (slug/buckshot).

I know my 7mm will be fine for anything OK has to offer. I'm interested to hear what y'all like to use. I have a Ruger Redhawk .44 scoped that I'd love to try out os well.

·
Administrator
13,918 Posts
I hunt with everything to include .45ACP 1911, .44 mag, AR15 in .243WSSM, to 30-06, .270 and 22-250. Got a .223, and a .300 Savage this year that will see some action. Have gun will hunt:D

·
Super Moderator
10,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Been looking at getting a 223 or a 270 for my kids when they get a bit older. Something with deer kill'n power but nothing that will knock my kids in the dirt and scare them from shooting again. I may like it as well. Lord knows my 7mm Mag with the 175g it favors kicks rather well.

·
Administrator
13,918 Posts
The 270 will kick just as hard as a 30-06 with the same weight bullet. Good thing is that one of the major ammo manufactures has came out with low recoil loads that a young'un can shoot out to 200 yds just fine, and the recoil is considerably less. Federal and Remington both put out the low recoil stuff. They might even have some for your 7mag that the kids could shoot....but then you wouldn't have anything:D

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
.270 is an old favorite but have been using my 30-30 lever gun since I got some of the LeveRevoulution ammo.

.270 is a good one to start with and ditto on the low recoil loads or go with a lighter bullet weight.

.223 AR, 22-250 and the black powder .50 cal see some action as well.

·
Super Moderator
10,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hay Bird how do ya like that Leverevolution ammo? I been looking to pick me up a box for my .44 Redhawk and see how it works. Talked to a couple folks that shoot it in there super reds and say it woks just as well as any other round but does give you a bit more range.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
If & when I use my 308 win w/ 165 grain nosler partitions.
Low recoil & will drop anything here in Oklahoma.

Mainly use a shotgun with slugs & a 50 cal muzzleloader.
Only have had two chances in 9 years to use my 308 win.
Private property deer, hog & elk hunting is hard to find around here.

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
Bull, I love the stuff. In my thurty-thurty it shot 8 inches higher than my flat nose hand loads at 100 yrds. So yeah, it does extend the range a bit. Worked like a champ on a doe year before last. Going to load some up in the son in laws 460 S&W soon.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Bird, So Hornay is making bullets to fit other calibers other then standard lever gun calibers?

·
Super Moderator
10,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was looking at doing some reloading for the .44 provided they shot well for me. Its now a matter of geting some and finding a range to shoot them at.

·
Administrator
13,918 Posts
A couple of indoor ranges in your area. H&H has been around for a long time, and are great supporters of the 2nd ammendment. A new indoor range is going to open on Aug 22 at Danforth and Kelley in Edmond.

·
Vendor
511 Posts
I was looking at doing some reloading for the .44 provided they shot well for me. Its now a matter of geting some and finding a range to shoot them at.
The only problem with them is you have to use the new hornady dies to load up the new bullets. The others will not seat nor crimp properly.

Michael

The Brass Shack
5324 E. Admiral Pl
Tulsa, OK 74225

918-402-8344

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
Michael, good info on the bullets. Kind of wondered how the soft tips would seat.

Gauge, yep. Saw on Midways clearance a box of 50 for the .460 @ $19. Not cheap by no means as anything for that gun isn't. But they would make an awesome hunting round.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Bird:

Thanks for info.I'll go look @ Midway online & then over to Hornady for more calibers.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I carry my 25-06 most of the time nowdays, but I am still in love with my 300 Win Mag. I also picked up a 22-250 that is looking to be a slayer.

·
Administrator
13,918 Posts
.22-250 will knock em dead just as fast as my .06 with the right bullet. I've taken several with that caliber. ;D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts