Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
15,152 Posts
The ORA was back in the day was a 2A lobby group that lobbied legislators to introduce or change gun and wildlife laws. Pretty powerful group back in their day that also lobbied for their own personal interests which at the time among the leadership was raccoon hunting with dogs.
They were very effective in making trapping regulations so difficult in Oklahoma that not even game wardens could sort through the confusing language in the bills.
Ineffective traps, insane trap marking requirements, couldn’t use kill traps like conibears, and the list goes on, all designed to prevent one of their raccoon dogs from being injured if caught in a trap on land they weren’t supposed to be on in the first place.
Internal issues both personal and professional have pretty much neutered them as a lobby group.

·
Super Moderator
12,623 Posts
At first I thought y’all were asking Dennis if he recognized the car 🤣😂🤣. I scrolled down and then saw the pic.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The ORA was back in the day was a 2A lobby group that lobbied legislators to introduce or change gun and wildlife laws. Pretty powerful group back in their day that also lobbied for their own personal interests which at the time among the leadership was raccoon hunting with dogs.
They were very effective in making trapping regulations so difficult in Oklahoma that not even game wardens could sort through the confusing language in the bills.
Ineffective traps, insane trap marking requirements, couldn’t use kill traps like conibears, and the list goes on, all designed to prevent one of their raccoon dogs from being injured if caught in a trap on land they weren’t supposed to be on in the first place.
Internal issues both personal and professional have pretty much neutered them as a lobby group.
Ah, gotcha. That wouldn't have been spearheaded by a former wildlife commissioner, would it?

·
Administrator
15,152 Posts
Ah, gotcha. That wouldn't have been spearheaded by a former wildlife commissioner, would it?
Not that I’m aware of but possible I guess. I don’t know the history of most of the leadership. One ran a big gun training facility in the OKC area.
Don’t get me wrong, they did a lot for the 2A by lobbying the legislature, but their efforts to muddy trapping certainly set that sport on its heels for many years.

Reactions: Kennywayne
1 - 6 of 6 Posts