Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I've been reading through the various posts related to Okmulgee GMA. I'm relatively new to OK and never hunted whitetail. Moved from NM a few years ago and wanted to get back into hunting something so I put in for several of the controlled hunts. As luck would have it my son drew the youth hunt on the Okmulgee GMA. I've checked out Google Earth and I drove around the area a little bit the other day and had some questions for people in the know. Seems like a plan for this area would be to find an area to pull off the road and walk in to one of the food plot areas and just sit on it? I've never been a stand hunter. All my experience was mule deer and elk in NW NM and SW CO. If I remember correctly they gave out about 40 tags for that weekend. Seems like a lot for this small of an area, with youth hunters, with rifles, so what's been your experience in running into other hunters?Or did you even notice any others?

I also noticed in the regs that Youth Deer Gun and Deer Archery are "Same as Statewide Seasons." So am I correct in believing that I could get an OTC archery tag and hunt the GMA starting Oct.1? Or my son could get an OTC deer tag for the October youth weekend and hunt the GMA? Or is that only for the Public Hunting Area (PHA)?

I apologize for all the questions, just trying to get a feel for everything. I appreciate any info anyone could give. Also feel free to message me directly.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Lane579, welcome to OK. Others are more knowledgeable but I think I can answer some. It's over 9000 acres or roughly 15 sq miles with 95% hardwoods - should be able to handle the hunters but there will be pressure. My suggestion would be to sit food plot in the morning. After some shooting, the plots may not produce during shooting hours. If those woods are like ours in Okfuskee county, you'll have a hard time walking through them and not run everything out. Look at the maps and try to identify 'escape' routes from their normal pattern because it'll change after the first day.

Never hunted a GMA so will let others answer your pressure question. I had drawn a tag for the controlled hunt in Lexington a few years back but heard it was way overcrowded so turned it in. I bet you'll see others. I think they likely have a gate and will open it X amount of hours before sunrise. The GMA shows closed during the controlled deer hunts but the PHA does not. The GMA is Closed to Deer Gun so you can't get an OTC youth rifle but could archery. The PHA shows Youth Deer Gun and Deer Archery 'Same as statewide seasons' so definitely could hunt there. The way I read it is you could get an OTC archery tag and hunt it 10/1 up until the start of the controlled hunts. Might give you a leg up on where to go for your son since only have 2 days.

Best of luck to you and your son. Hope I didn't misstate anything.

·
Super Moderator
11,573 Posts
I can’t help you at all. But you didn’t mention it was a youth hunt. If you haven’t I would look into the USDA grasslands hunt in El Reno (2 deer hunt) and then keep tabs later in the summer (July/ August) on the fish and game page for the Nobel Research Institute hunt down around Davis. My kids drew both and we had a blast on both hunts.
We filled 5/6 tags on 3 hunts at the USDA Grasslands and 1/2 tags on 2 hunts with the Nobel Research Institute. All are private land hunts with guides. Lots of good stuff for the kids.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Lane579, Welcome to OK.

My son drew that hunt two years ago. It was a lot of fun. They couple that runs that hunt are very good with the kids. They have the game warden come buy to visit with the kids. There was a big meal Saturday at Lunch. They will give you pointers on where to go, and what to do.

When my son went, there were only about 15, or so other kids that showed up. They said that they rarely have all the kids attend. When you get there in the morning, you meet at the check station, and they go over some information. They have a map on the wall, and you place your pin where you'll be hunting. We never ran into anyone in the field. We hunted food plots a couple times, but didn't see anything. We saw all of our deer in the woods. I'll send you a couple images of where we saw deer.

Good luck to y'all!

·
Administrator
14,527 Posts
Hello all,
I've been reading through the various posts related to Okmulgee GMA. I'm relatively new to OK and never hunted whitetail. Moved from NM a few years ago and wanted to get back into hunting something so I put in for several of the controlled hunts. As luck would have it my son drew the youth hunt on the Okmulgee GMA. I've checked out Google Earth and I drove around the area a little bit the other day and had some questions for people in the know. Seems like a plan for this area would be to find an area to pull off the road and walk in to one of the food plot areas and just sit on it? I've never been a stand hunter. All my experience was mule deer and elk in NW NM and SW CO. If I remember correctly they gave out about 40 tags for that weekend. Seems like a lot for this small of an area, with youth hunters, with rifles, so what's been your experience in running into other hunters?Or did you even notice any others?

I also noticed in the regs that Youth Deer Gun and Deer Archery are "Same as Statewide Seasons." So am I correct in believing that I could get an OTC archery tag and hunt the GMA starting Oct.1? Or my son could get an OTC deer tag for the October youth weekend and hunt the GMA? Or is that only for the Public Hunting Area (PHA)?

I apologize for all the questions, just trying to get a feel for everything. I appreciate any info anyone could give. Also feel free to message me directly.
Welcome to Oklahoma Hunter. It appears you have been given the information your looking for. Please keep us updated and post pics of the hunt, successful or not.

·
Super Moderator
11,573 Posts
Just wanted to post an update. My son got his first whitetail during the first day of this controlled hunt. Saw five does before this little guy. View attachment 7193
We were both very excited! Thanks to everyone who was able to provide some advice!
Congrats to your son and to you on a successful hunt. That first deer is always one you will remember.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great buck for the little fella way to go dad on getting him out there! Great memories I’m sure!
pretty thick woods out there, how far was his shot?
It was a great time! We were generally in the west central portion of the area. There were some pretty thick areas but we had moved into a spot where we could see into one of the creek bottoms and his shot ended up being 70-80 yards. Couldn't have asked for a more perfect shot. Buck didn't take a step.

·
Administrator
14,527 Posts
Good deal! Congrats to the successful Hunter!

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
It was a great time! We were generally in the west central portion of the area. There were some pretty thick areas but we had moved into a spot where we could see into one of the creek bottoms and his shot ended up being 70-80 yards. Couldn't have asked for a more perfect shot. Buck didn't take a step.
Shoot yeah that’s awesome always nice for a short recovery.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts