Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Youngest boy and I hit a mountain lake, Lake Marie, yesterday. The pass is now open over the Snowy Range but lots of snow still. This lake sits around 10k’. Was in the mid 60s and fantastic weather.
Mirror lake, the one next to Marie, is still frozen over with snow on it. 6’ snow drifts on the road leading into it. Didn’t even bother hiking in to it.
Decided to make it a fly fishing day and what a day it was. Biggest fish about 12” with average 8-10” and lots of small 4-5”. We caught Splake (cross between male Brook and female Lake trout), brook and rainbow trout. The ice melted off Lake Mari this week so they were hungry and active. Still had some ice sheets floating around as you can see in the pics.
Between my son and I we landed over 40 fish snd lost at least another 20. I did mange a couple Tree-pounders as well. They hit on the back cast mostly. Fish wanted small black nymphs with a gold bead.
Spent a lot of time dumping snow from the knee high boots as well. Wet socks and cold feet by days end but worth ever moment.
Here’s a photo dump with snow for your 100* OK viewing pleasure.
Cloud Water Sky Water resources Lake

Sky Cloud Mountain Snow Slope

Cloud Sky Plant Ecoregion Water

Sky Plant Snow Natural landscape Larch

Cloud Sky Water Plant Mountain

Cloud Water Sky Ecoregion Plant

Water Sky Natural landscape Lake Fluvial landforms of streams

Cloud Water Sky Mountain Natural landscape

Water Cloud Sky Mountain Water resources

Water Water resources Plant Ecoregion Mountain

·
Super Moderator
12,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The nymph of choice in the 1st pic. You can see (3rd pic) where I even had to drag fish over the ice to land them. Who knew you could fly fish/ ice fish lol.
Reptile Marine invertebrates Finger Terrestrial animal Thumb

Road surface Asphalt Automotive tire Grass Sports equipment

Water Natural landscape Fluid Road surface Sunlight

Cloud Sky Plant People in nature Mountain

Cloud Sky Water Water resources Mountain

Cloud Sky Mountain Plant Natural landscape

Water Water resources Sky Mountain Snow

Hand Sky Goggles Sunglasses Smile

Water Organism Fish Ray-finned fish Terrestrial plant

People in nature Gesture Finger Thumb Nail

·
Super Moderator
12,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Water Vertebrate Salmon-like fish Fisherman Sky

Salmon-like fish Water Organism Fisherman Fish

Water Vertebrate Fish Watch Salmon-like fish

Glasses Cloud Sky Mountain Plant

·
Super Moderator
12,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Beautiful pictures! When I was young I chased trout frequently with a fly rod and after I retire (2 more years hopefully) I plan to return to it. Thanks for posting!
Wished I was better with a cell phone camera.
In another month these lakes are great in the evening for dry flys at the peak of the hatches. Some trout hit like a bass on a plug.

·
Super Moderator
12,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There are times I really love Oklahoma and the diverse terrain and animals. Then I see pics like these and remember that being in the mountains is definitely my favorite place in the world. Congrats on the successful fishing trip. Absolutely lovely scenery up there!
Thanks. When you have snow 9 months of the year you take advantage of the weather and opportunities. We plan to make another trip in 2 weeks for my sons birthday. Hopefully Mirror lake will be fishable.

·
Super Moderator
12,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was really enjoy the photos until that last one I jumped back so hard I dropped my phone and cracked the screen!
You must had seen your reflection in my polarized fishing glasses. Sorry about the phone but now with the cracked screen you won’t have to see your reflection anymore.

·
Super Moderator
12,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Administrator
15,276 Posts
You had a great day with the son. That was the most important.
Fished some of those same spots last summer when we visited. There was still snow in July on some of those mountains in the background when we were there.

·
Super Moderator
12,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I remember fly fishing in my youth (Northeast Washington). I miss it sometimes. Great photos, and I'm glad you had a blast.
That’s right you once said you were from the Spokane area if I recall.
I was born and raised in the Tri-Cities (Kennewick). I grew up fishing the Blue Mountains of WA & OR.

·
Super Moderator
12,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You had a great day with the son. That was the most important.
Fished some of those same spots last summer when we visited. There was still snow in July on some of those mountains in the background when we were there.
Some of those peaks have snow year round in pockets. Will be July before any of the campgrounds open up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts