Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
15,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent the day at work wussing around in a depression. Boss finally asked me what was wrong....told him problem was, I belonged in the stand and not at work....he told me to get the hell out of dodge ;D ;D

Left at 1630 hrs, and was in the stand by 1730.

Walked up to the clear cut where my stand is, and saw 20 or so turkey milling around. I just stepped into it slowly, and they just walked off, not flushing. I'm thinking another turkey with the bow this fall:D
Not five minutes into the stand, this young buck walked by and got to 10 yds.
He got a pass, as he should.
Couple of does came in to the food plot right at dark, but already had the camera put up for the evening. Sat in the stand until they finished eating and came home.
Talked the boss into coming to work late Sun morning, so It will be to another stand on a 45 degree morning. ;D

·
Super Moderator
13,055 Posts
Looks like your season is off to a good start.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Mine is off to its normally crappy start. Let me start of by saying, "I HATE COWS" My camera was on the ground again for the second time. 2 of my 3 feeders is bone dry from the cows licking the spinners. I have tons of pics of nothing but cows. The one that still has feed has a varmint guard on it to keep their tongues away. Im going to have to put a barb wire nest around the other 2 to keep them away. Didnt see a deer one this weekend. Took my 8 yr old boy for the first time and he was bored to tears, and so was I. No quicker was to kill a kids hunting interest than several outings like we had. No does, no nothing. That corn in the feeders should have lasted until Muzzleloader at least. Did I mention I HATE COWS. They arent good for anything but eating and tearing up your deer hunting stuff. Whens cow season. :mad: Other than that, we had fun camping and fending off the killer porky pines. ;) Oh, by the way, are the goatheads horrible everywhere else like they are at my place. You cant take a step without stepping in them. Also not good for kids.

·
Administrator
15,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry to hear about the bad start. The barbed wire thing will keep them out for sure.
I can honestly say I've never seen a porkypine in the woods...We just don't have them in the NC part of the state.

I pulled my sd card from the camera on a different stand I was sitting on this morning. It kind of backed up what I saw this morning.
Sat in the stand from 5am until 10 am, and saw one bobcat, two *****, and a couple of redhawks that were sitting in some trees on the edge of the wheatfield. Read my book until 10 and then a 18 month old 7 point showed up. He got a pass as well.
Looking at my camera pics, they show up at around 10am and have different deer visiting the feeder all day long. All young bucks and does.
Nothing at night, all during the late morning to early evening.
Made me mad that while looking at pics on my good camera, I left the card in the card viewer, and didn't put it back in the camera, so had to use the crappy cell phone pics. Tried taking one thru the scope, but that doesn't work. Kind of different perspective though:D

·
Super Moderator
13,055 Posts
Look at it this way. your getting out and seeing deer. I'll be lucky to get out for deer at all this year.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I went out yesterday evening to put new batteries in the feeders, and sit in my stand a little bit. I had a doe, a yearling, and a young fawn come by me. The doe gave me a beautiful 30 yd broadside shot that I didn't take (because of the fawn). Fawns are the future of deer herds and it's best chance of survival is to stay with momma.

Any way, I have never shot a deer with a bow, so I showed a lot of restraint with moral judgment. That has to be worth like 500 points for our team! Hahahaha!

It is always good just to be out and see something.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.