Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We made our first run up to our lease in Oklahoma this weekend, we had too big of a group to hunt the creeks where most of the birds seem to be and we had a first time Quail hunter in the group (12 years old) so we ran the more open stuff to keep it safe & so we could keep up with the dogs in such thick cover. We made three loops on Saturday & only found one covey of about 15 birds, we found more but I am pretty sure it was part of the same covey. Then on Sunday we made one big loop in the morning & found two coveys, one with 15 or so & one with 40 or more. Not what we were hoping for but better than our lease last year for sure. We have a lot of learning to do up there to find where they like to hide, my buddy Donnie lives up by there & has been on the place for years, so he seems to know where the coveys are, they average 6-8 coveys on a full day running pointers with a Garmin, I can tell you, we could find more birds if we had one, the blue stem is chest high in places. I didn't carry a gun on this trip, so lucky for y'all I have lots of pictures.

It was a little frosty Sunday morning

·
Administrator
14,025 Posts
Glad to see ya got into some birds!
Really enjoyed the pics. I need to do that sometime. leave the gun in the truck and shoot them with the camera.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Once I get my wife to where she is confident carrying & shooting a gun, I will be carrying the camera most of the time. I cant tell you how many times out in the field I have came up on such beautiful points that I would have traded my shotgun right then & there for a camera. Once those moments are gone, they are gone if you don't have a camera. My biggest regret with my first Brittany is I didn't take enough pictures of him, not gonna be that way with all the ones I have now.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Great photos of the dogs & their work.
Just a bonus on the birds.

·
Super Moderator
10,971 Posts
Looks like a good time by all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts