Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner

Our forum family is getting smaller

2K views 27 replies 11 participants last post by  dennishoddy 
#1 ·
I have noticed our forum is getting smaller. We just don't have the members like we used too have when I first joined. Where have they gone?

#4 ·
FB and other social media groups have taken many away. I know of at least 3 former members that are regulars on the OK FB groups. Others have just quit using the internet/ social media all together. Some time back when an update occurred some had log on issues and as a result they just quit coming as well.

#5 ·
I notice hunting forums tend to pick up about a month before the season, and drop off a month after it ends.

Many sites have drastically dropped off though over the past few years. Some of the other ones that I'm a member of: Lonestar Boars - Todd the creator stopped posting and its down to a handful of guys who do little hog hunting. I left at the same time as my buddy Brian. 6.8 Fourums - Those guys think they know everything, and you cannot post without extreme correction from several members (often in different directions)...I don't measure resumes over the internet, but I really get tired of tactical "insight" from dudes who have never been shot at.

A lot of forum death is the result of the members...but this site is actually one of the better ones for guys that are humble and willing to help. I really think that maybe we don't quite kill enough here to keep everyone's attention. I'm pretty guilty of checking here once or twice a week because I don't think ill be that far behind in any new conversations.

Maybe if we started more topics showing how we set up...from stands, to food plots, to equipment, to ammo and reloading component selections...we can increase the number of posts and maybe give new members more to look at before they get bored and abandon the site?

I'm guilty of not posting every hog video, mostly because I am 100 percent not a seeker of attention. That is why you don't see my ugly mug in any video. Maybe I ought to heed my own advice.

#6 ·
I know I use to check the forum at least 10 times a day or more then like Bullbuster said everything changed and I had difficulty navigating here so I got frustrated and quit checking as much. We don’t get many items for sale on here so when people search for something it doesn’t direct them here maybe I don’t know I know I have found other good forums that way

#7 ·
I found a lot of forums by searching Google with specific firearms questions. I usually looked around for a while afterwards.

I was actually referred to this site by my buddy Brian (Carpe Sus on YouTube and I think Double Naught Spy on here like most of his other forum memberships). He thought I should get more interaction with local hunters to see about the potential for finding additional land to shoot hogs on. I just don't have the time to dedicate to hog eradication to allow for 20 properties across a two hour drive like he does.

He's got the system of referrals and land acquisition down pat.

#10 ·
I was wondering if our new Turkey Hunter was gonna ever pop back on. I’m glad to see he did and share the story. Certainly can’t say the same for others.
I’m on many WY and surrounding regional FB forums for hunting and fishing and when the non resident tags results posts it’s a flood of- I drew this tag and know nothing about the area what’s you’re info on it. Same goes just before tag deadline and those wanting info before applying.
Several big YouTube guys I follow I’ve struck up some good conversations with. Learned a lot about hunting WY bears and elk from them and they aren’t even WY residents. I’ve offered up a room and a couch to them when they are in town to film or scout. That’s gone along way in starting conversations. Lots of celebs for some reason like this little town as a base camp for hunting and fishing around here.
I know we’ve had other folks that had YouTube channels on here but eventually they left. I remember the guy from Romania that shot the air guns. I enjoyed his videos as air gunning is certainly not something you see everyday.

#11 ·
Right after the controlled hunt drawings we get some short term members fishing for information too.

#16 ·
I post here, the Upland Journal board and a Texas Hunting board. I also have very active Instagram, Reddit and YouTube accounts. I use FB but rarely post and frankly just don't enjoy all the political BS I have to dig through to keep up with a handful of friends.

All the different places I post content offer something positive for me. It is much easier to make connections with people of like interest now than it was 20 years ago. I like that but it can lead to really shallow connections. I've found that if you work hard at friendship the ones that start online are just as meaningful as those that arose from other connections.

I hope there remains enough participation on this board to justify keeping it running. I'll continue to post and participate as my way of encouraging that to happen.

#18 ·
I have only recently joined in here. I visit every day. I no longer hunt like I use to. If I were still in Montana, and this were a Montana hunting board I would post 4 or 5 times a week about the latest gopher hunt. But we don't do that here.

I also have been a little unsure about what was acceptable to post. I was glad to see a post come up on crappie "hunting". I am doing that.

I only have one hunt scheduled so far this year and will post about that when it happens. But before that I have to get a rifle ready. I have my KDF Voere Titan in .308 Norma Mag and my Custom built Columbian Mauser in 338/06 Ackley as my standard hunt guns. Not much of a challenge left hunting with those guns, especially from a stand. This year it will be my other hobby that supplies the guns. Martini's. Single shot rifles with iron sights.

One in .303 and one possibly in .375. But they are not what you may think they be. The .303 is a true .303 bore and not the .311 of the .303 British cartridge. This gun was built in the 1890's and precedes the British cartridge. The .375 I have in mind is the .375 2-3/4" Flanged NE. It's not a magnum. More in the class of the .375 Winchester. I have decision to make about this gun. Currently it is a .303 British with a wiped out bore. I can reline the gun to .303 British or since I will reline, I can do the .375.

I don't see many post on shooting or working up loads to get guns shooting for hunting. I will spend more time getting these two guns ready for the hunt, than I will the 4 days I will hunt. If permitted, I will post my efforts.

But if the board is just pure hunting things are going to be slow for me. Well I guess i can share game camera videos from my back yard.

#19 ·
^
This is what I was kind of hinting at. I don't think there would be any harm at all showing your loading techniques, tools, and most importantly results.

As a matter of fact, I don't think any kind of outdoor efforts would be considered taboo on this site. I post about half of my hog hunting videos here...they certainly aren't professionally done, but it gives someone something to look at while they're hunting for three minutes of time to kill.

It also sounds like you have a few really nice rifles. Sometimes words don't do them justice, and you have to share a photo or two.

#20 · (Edited)
Any outdoor related subject is welcome on this board.
I’ve even posted some political issues that relate to the outdoors and new legislation related to the outdoors and our 2A rights.
Sometimes just a good semi clean joke or internet meme is acceptable.

I’m staying in a hotel with my favorite room number.

#21 ·
While it’s been almost 2 years now since I moved outta OK for WY, I post about the stuff I do here some of which is very foreign (bear baiting) to many on here (and me as well).
The title may be Oklahoma Hunter but that doesn’t mean it just about hunting. It’s anything and everything outdoors related.

Reactions: Bird (this time)
#27 ·
I’m shocked it’s difficult for you to get on. We’ve been hit hard by spam accounts and such recently. I just deleted several pieces of spam on another post. Downfall of work 12s is you miss a lot of the SOS notices.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.