Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm heading to Guymon at 1 AM. Hopefully a full day tomorrow will be productive. At the very least, I was told I could load up on jackrabbits! ;D

·
Administrator
15,409 Posts
Good luck! Jack Rabbits make some good chile ;)
I don't envy your drive.

·
Super Moderator
13,055 Posts
Good luck. ;D

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update- We pulled into Guymon around 6:30, but the guy we were meeting (to hunt on his land) overslept and got around late. We drove around a little and saw well over 150 birds, but they all flew into fields that were posted. He finally called me around 8:20, and he said he would get around and give us another call when he got up and dressed. He called again about 20 minutes later, and told us where his land is, it's fragmented up into separate 1/4 and 1/2 sections of circle fields with corners and CRP. We finally get to a cut milo field with tall corners. First drive through, 1 pheasant down, and 2 more fly-offs.

We get to the CRP field, pheasants everywhere. Limited out by 1:30.

Also, those jackrabbits up there are as big as coyotes and harder than ____ to hit with #4 pheasant loads and mod choke. I used 8 shots at 5 different jackrabbits and nothing to show for it. Honestly I didn't know jackrabbits were that big!! The jackrabbits in south Texas are nowhere near that big. These things are massive!!!!

Any way, going up there again in two weeks to close the season out with a repeat of yesterday's success!!!!!!

·
Administrator
15,409 Posts
congrats on a fun hunt! Haven't seen any jacks around here for awhile, but when we did have them, they are deceptivly fast.

·
Super Moderator
13,055 Posts
Congrats and good luck.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Heading back to Guymon in the morning for the last weekend of pheasant! Let's see if we can repeat our success from two weeks ago, but add some jackrabbits to the mix! ;)

·
Administrator
15,409 Posts
Good luck! I came down with the flue, or a stomach virus. Sitting in dr office now.
looks like I'll miss last weekend.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Dennis you got the bug.
Seams like everyone is getting it.
My grandsons 4th grade class had over 34 students that were out of school due to the bug. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Hope you get to feeling better.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well we closed out the season fairly well. First field we hit, the birds must have seen us coming down the hill and were flushing way out, well over 150 yds out. We went to a CRP we've never hunted, and saw only jackrabbits, killed 2. So we went back to some corners we hunted last time, and shot a single rooster there. Then back to the same CRP that worked last time, and shot 4 more roosters there. Saw a few others, but just missed. Yesterday's totals: 5 roosters (2 were mine), and 2 jackrabbits. Unfortunately, I forgot to take pics before we cleaned them. Oh well, it was still fun and totally worth it. Looking forward to next season!

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
Sounds like a good way to end the season. Pheasandts do seem to get skiddish towards the end of the season

·
Administrator
15,409 Posts
Sounds like a good way to end the season. Pheasandts do seem to get skiddish towards the end of the season
Late season pheasants require military type assaults on them. One car door shutting will send them flying. If somebody gets one last weekend, they really did something right. ;D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.