Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Administrator
14,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had to go to the farm Tuesday to get a spare generator for my mom after we lost power. Saw 14 young pheasant under a shade tree. Looked to be all hens. That's more birds than I saw all of last season.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I just spoke to my pheasant buddy in the panhandle about hunting this winter. It's a no-go. He said that the drought has knocked the population down up there (virtually no hatching), so he isn't letting anyone hunt this year, and seemed like it would probably be the same elsewhere in the state. So another friend is looking into a Nebraska trip.

·
Administrator
14,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Central parts of Kansas got rain all summer. A person may want to do a hunt there on some of the walk in areas

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Yes, a person does want to do a walk in hunt in KS. ME!

·
Registered
840 Posts
I have never hunted out of state, but I would be game, depending on how much it costs.

·
Administrator
14,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Whoa!! Sounds like a group hunt in Ks is starting to develop! Its not that bad in KS for a 5 day license, so other than room and board, and transportation, its do-able. No fees for the walk in areas.

Lets work on this if you guys want. ;)

In the mean time google Kansas Walk in Areas.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Kansas non-resident season is not bad, $75 and change. I get mine in Jan. so I am covered in the fall also. I hunt in the Sublette area, the people up there it looks about the same as last year. We limited out every trip.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Whoa!! Sounds like a group hunt in Ks is starting to develop! Its not that bad in KS for a 5 day license, so other than room and board, and transportation, its do-able. No fees for the walk in areas.

Hummmmmmm...

·
Super Moderator
10,971 Posts
Y'all have fun with this. Hope ya make a GT of it.

·
Administrator
14,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Hummmmmmm...
Quit thinking and start saying YES!! ;)

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Need a date & time frame?
I have not killed pheasant is over 12 years. It's about time to go again.

·
Administrator
14,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Early season can be crowded, but there are a lot more birds. I went two years ago, late season, and got a limit but it took a lot of walking.

·
Super Moderator
10,971 Posts
Its been awhile for me to pop a ring neck. Almost scared to anymore. Only bird I am 100% on the 1st shot with. Hope to be work soon so y'all have a good time.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I'm on Christmas Break from Dec 21-Jan 2. Anytime after Christmas will be fine. Also most weekends in Jan, but Jan 14-16 is a 3-day weekend for me.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Can we do this sometime in January? That way my out-of-state license will be good for a whole year, and not just a few days!

·
Administrator
14,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I did my hunt in late Jan. What birds were left, were highly intelligent, and took large crowds of walkers/blockers to have any success.
We were fortunate finding an old farmer with a flat tire. We stopped and put on his spare. He gave us directions to the old home place that had about 30 acres of grass, and an old homestead. I managed to be in the right spot, when my buddy pushed some birds into a dead end. He couldn't shoot as it was toward a road, but perfect for me.

If anyway possible, I'd like to try it earlier. If I'm not wrong the licence is good for 1 yr from the time you buy it to the same date the following year. Its not like OK, Jan 1 to Jan 1. I'll have to look that up to confirm.

It was just the two of us, and pretty frustrating seeing fresh tracks in the snow, and never seeing any birds, while putting in a good 5-6 miles of walking broken terrain in waist high grass.

The secret, is to be sitting quietly at the edge of the field an hour before daylight, and finally rushing the birds at first light, trying to pinch them down into an area when they will flush. Hitting a 200 acre area with two guys makes it tough.

·
Super Moderator
10,971 Posts
I remember a hunt I did years ago back in Cali. Seen a rooster tucked down in a small impression and got to within 15-20' before he up and ran. Chased him a good 200y across the dirt field and finally just ground shot him. He was younger and faster than me but not the shot. Also shot one out of a tree that day as he wouldn't flush out. Popped it with a couple rocks and still nothing.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Tell y'all this.
I'll supply all the ammo for this hunt for all that go.
In return for the out of state license & what not + transportation to & from my home.
Y'all let me know.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Sounds good! My buddy and me have a few half- and quarter-sections around Guymon that we hit. 2 guys walking out a half-section of CRP. We did find that if we were quiet walking through and not just barrelling through and talking, they would usually flush within just a few feet of us. Sometimes we would almost step on them before they flushed. Rarely would they flush out of range. The key there is to be as quiet as possible while walking.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I just checked my Kansas license and it is Jan 1 to Dec 31, just like Oklahoma they are not going to miss out on the revenue.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts