Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
15,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the farms today to do some work for this coming fall deer season.
The clover patch on one wooded area I call the 22 acre patch in the middle of an agriculture section is getting close to it's 5 year life span with some bare areas last season, so took three pounds of Ladino Clover seed to overseed the entire 1/3 acre food plot. The ground was damp so the roller pressed the seed into the soil. 100% chance of rain tomorrow so hopefully will get some germination.
This spot has a resident population of a dozen does. Bucks just visit when the need to breed arises but never stay around.
The blind which is great for archery in early season isn't so good for MZ or Rifle when the typical wind changes from south to north later in the season. The blind is North of the feeder so any wind from that direction spoils the food plot if a human is in the blind.
I have a 15' tall tripod stand that hasn't been sat in for many years so thought I could cut down several of the Osage Orange trees on the West side to install that tripod blind that would open up Rifle and MZ season if the wind was right. More options.
Remind me next time to wear long sleeves, hat and long pants with boots vs shorts, t shirt and tennis shoes when working with hedge. By the time 6 trees were cut down i was bleeding like a stuck hog from all the thorns in the arm, and head.
I need to cut more but that hedge wood is so hard that the chain saw went dull pretty quick and will need the tractor/front loader to push some brush around to allow more cutting. Used some Tordon RTU on the stumps to kill them so they don't resprout.

·
Super Moderator
12,801 Posts
Hope the plots get the needed water and they take a good root.

Reactions: retrieverman

·
Administrator
15,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Looks like we got a solid inch of rain there today with cool temps for the next few days. Hopefully the ground will stay moist enough for germination and the spring will be wet. It's always a crap shoot when planting in the spring.
Trying everything I can do to attract an animal that never has to go to school to be smart.
I do think I enjoy the prep just about as much as the hunt. Getting into the woods spending the day working is pretty good exercise and really mentally rewarding in this last sector of a hunters life.
Do I have to do it? Nope. Over ran with deer so why? Thought about that quite a bit and never came up with an answer.
Guess it's just because I love the outdoors.

·
Super Moderator
12,801 Posts
Looks like we got a solid inch of rain there today with cool temps for the next few days. Hopefully the ground will stay moist enough for germination and the spring will be wet. It's always a crap shoot when planting in the spring.
Trying everything I can do to attract an animal that never has to go to school to be smart.
I do think I enjoy the prep just about as much as the hunt. Getting into the woods spending the day working is pretty good exercise and really mentally rewarding in this last sector of a hunters life.
Do I have to do it? Nope. Over ran with deer so why? Thought about that quite a bit and never came up with an answer.
Guess it's just because I love the outdoors.
I think that’s me and bear baiting. It’s expensive and a lot of work but by golly are the rewards worth it.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Went to the farms today to do some work for this coming fall deer season.
The clover patch on one wooded area I call the 22 acre patch in the middle of an agriculture section is getting close to it's 5 year life span with some bare areas last season, so took three pounds of Ladino Clover seed to overseed the entire 1/3 acre food plot. The ground was damp so the roller pressed the seed into the soil. 100% chance of rain tomorrow so hopefully will get some germination.
This spot has a resident population of a dozen does. Bucks just visit when the need to breed arises but never stay around.
The blind which is great for archery in early season isn't so good for MZ or Rifle when the typical wind changes from south to north later in the season. The blind is North of the feeder so any wind from that direction spoils the food plot if a human is in the blind.
I have a 15' tall tripod stand that hasn't been sat in for many years so thought I could cut down several of the Osage Orange trees on the West side to install that tripod blind that would open up Rifle and MZ season if the wind was right. More options.
Remind me next time to wear long sleeves, hat and long pants with boots vs shorts, t shirt and tennis shoes when working with hedge. By the time 6 trees were cut down i was bleeding like a stuck hog from all the thorns in the arm, and head.
I need to cut more but that hedge wood is so hard that the chain saw went dull pretty quick and will need the tractor/front loader to push some brush around to allow more cutting. Used some Tordon RTU on the stumps to kill them so they don't resprout.
Even when I’m covered head to toe I bleed everywhere when cutting hedge. One of the best investments we ever made was a tree clipper for our skid steer. It has a big push bar between it and the cab, has a 25 gallon chemical tank with 4 nozzles that are under the blades, 2 cylinders and will cut a 30 inch hedge like a knife through butter. I still have to use the chainsaw on some fence lines and other places. I bought a couple of diamond carbide chains for my saw. Kinda expensive but they will stay sharp a lot longer than regular chains.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
15,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Even when I’m covered head to toe I bleed everywhere when cutting hedge. One of the best investments we ever made was a tree clipper for our skid steer. It has a big push bar between it and the cab, has a 25 gallon chemical tank with 4 nozzles that are under the blades, 2 cylinders and will cut a 30 inch hedge like a knife through butter. I still have to use the chainsaw on some fence lines and other places. I bought a couple of diamond carbide chains for my saw. Kinda expensive but they will stay sharp a lot longer than regular chains.

How do you sharpen the diamond carbide chains?
I'd love to have that equipment, but a couple of tractors is all I have left after the sale when I retired from farming.
Went to the farms today and did final clean up of the blinds, dumped the residual corn from the feeders, and rode the 4 wheeler about 20 miles looking for sheds. Not a single shed found which is typical. Pretty open with some trees along the fence row.
Saw several eastern red cedars in the fence row that are only 2' tall, so the next trip will include a machete and a hand saw to get those eliminated. I'm a fanatic about not getting those cedars a start on the places.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I'd love to have that equipment, but a couple of tractors is all I have left after the sale when I retired from farming.
Went to the farms today and did final clean up of the blinds, dumped the residual corn from the feeders, and rode the 4 wheeler about 20 miles looking for sheds. Not a single shed found which is typical. Pretty open with some trees along the fence row.
Saw several eastern red cedars in the fence row that are only 2' tall, so the next trip will include a machete and a hand saw to get those eliminated. I'm a fanatic about not getting those cedars a start on the places.
I take mine to Potter saw service in Winfield or Allen Brothers feed in pawhuska. I have a 12 volt sharpener and it seems like every time the saw ends up cutting crooked or the go dull fast.

·
Administrator
15,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Went to the farm today and brush hogged the clover food plot and the willows sprouting on the pond dam.
Wish I’d got there a week or so earlier. Some Johnson grass has shown up and it was going to seed.
Brain dead biden’s fuel prices have reduced the number of visits as its 90 miles round trip, not counting tractor fuel.
Some spraying appears to be in order next spring.

·
Super Moderator
12,801 Posts
Went to the farm today and brush hogged the clover food plot and the willows sprouting on the pond dam.
Wish I’d got there a week or so earlier. Some Johnson grass has shown up and it was going to seed.
Brain dead biden’s fuel prices have reduced the number of visits as its 90 miles round trip, not counting tractor fuel.
Some spraying appears to be in order next spring.
100 miles round trip for me to the bear woods. We’re around $5.50 for the cheap stuff around here.

·
Administrator
15,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It’s came down a tad here. We are right at $5 per gallon.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts