Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone! My first post here.

I am a new hunter, got my first little buck with a borrowed bow last year. IMG_0634.JPG Got my gear ready, have been putting in lots of practice, and gotten some good scouting done on public land and have some promising places picked out.

I have been going back and fourth on weather or not to spend the money and get setup to process my deer at home. I think I've decided its something that I at least want to try once. I have a empty fridge so space shouldn't be a issue. I am curious if anyone has had experience with processing at home and what your thoughts might be on vacuum sealing verses wrapping with quality freezer paper. Up front costs seem to be similar.

Thank you,

Sam

·
Administrator
13,720 Posts
First of all, welcome to Oklahoma Hunter!

I've processed a lot of deer at home with a cheap electric grinder. I actually enjoy doing it.
It's a long story, but my wife hates anything wrapped in white paper.
We have a vacuum sealer now, and it's great. Everything from deer to fish gets vacuum sealed. Lasts twice as long in the freezer.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Welcome! We do about 4-7 deer a year at home. It's not hard to do, and the money you save by doing it yourself, you can buy the grinder and vacuum sealer. We paper wrap everything, but we grind 90% of it to burger/mix with pork or beef fat and go through it fairly quickly. Me, the wife and two kids can make pretty quick work of one when it comes time to grind and wrap.

·
Super Moderator
10,643 Posts
Welcome to Oklahoma Hunter.

Congrats on the tender eats.

The worst part of butchering deer is setting the time aside to get it all done. I've been doing my own butchering for probably 15 years now. Hogs, deer it doesn't matter.

I got a grinder from cabelas and a Wally World vacuum sealer. Those are about the biggest items you would need.
Check out YouTube and other places on the internet for how to videos on butchering.

The best part of doing it yourself is you know you are getting your meat back plus you know how it was handled.

Reactions: Bird (this time)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Welcome to the site.

I think everyone has just about got you covered on the processing part. I shot my first deer last year and took after it with a sharp knife and a little bit of knowledge from a book I bought about butchering. My dad has an electric grinder and he helped me out with that part, but nothing to it. I would highly recommend watching a video or two. I didn't, and after I tried my hand at butchering, I went over to dad's to watch him butcher a deer, and there was definitely a lot to be learned by watching someone do it properly. I didn't ruin anything, but I could have been more efficient and probably wound up with a few more steaks than I did. I use a vacuum sealer and dad's big on the paper; six of one, and a half-dozen of the other - just go with what you're comfortable with.

·
Super Moderator
10,643 Posts

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
Do a search on YouTube and watch some of the videos. There're some guys that have it down to an art form!

I grind most everything except the back straps. I use an old antique grinder, take the handle off and chuck up the 1/2" Dewalt drill.

Reactions: Bullbuster

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've been butchering my own deer for a few years now and it was the best decision I could have made! Plus, to me I think it's part of the hunting process:) I would like to mount a nice mule/buck on my wall one day, but I have yet to shoot one that's worth mounting. As for butchering supplies, everyone has it pretty much covered!! A vacuum and grinder is a must, but just as important is a GOOOOD butchering knife! It seriously makes all the difference in the world. Depending on were you live and Saying I shoot a deer this year, I'd be happy to show you how it's done! I had to teach myself, but wished I had someone to show me lol

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
Saw a flyer at the feed store today, $175 to process your deer!

·
Administrator
13,720 Posts
Saw a flyer at the feed store today, $175 to process your deer!
That's Insane!

My buddy that owns a processing plant in Tonkawa charges $75. All they require is it be field dressed. They do one deer at a time from start to finish.

·
Super Moderator
10,643 Posts
Saw this and figured it may come in handy for someone.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you Guys. Hooking up the drill to the hand grinder is genius!
Daniel - Thank you for the offer. I am going out tomorrow with my brother so butchering the deer might be trial by fire. What kind of butchering knife or knives do you use? Long blade, short blade, flexible, ect?

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Couple other things discovered over the years.........

-cut the meat however you're going to eat it, then soak, changing water till there's no more blood...........even the meat you're going to grind, cube it, soak it
-partial frozen meat grinds better
-Use a short blade in the field and when parting out (I do this entire process on the tailgate now, 10 minute job, tenderloins included), if it's cool out, I don't even gut them anymore.
-Almost always use a filet knife in the kitchen now to finish up the process.

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
+1 on the fillet knife, makes it easier to get all the silver skin off the meat and makes it easier to get meat from around bones.

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
+1 on the fillet knife, makes getting the silver skin off the meat easier and I like them to debone with.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts