Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let’s have some reviews of things you think work or we should shy away from.

My buddy turned me onto Scent Thief. It doesn’t cover your scent but somehow fouls up the deers noses so they can’t smell. The pack comes with laundry soap, body/hair wash, spray and a wafer to hang near your stand. I was using everything but the wafer when my buck came in directly down wind of me and didn’t seem to smell me. However, I don’t think it works on hogs. My buddy was using it and they smelled him.
I

Another soap I have been using for years is Sportswash. It removes all odors and UV. Also restores loft to down jackets and restore water repellency.
I

Next product that I DONT recommend is Dead Down Wind laundry sheets. They claim to be anti static. But every time I use them my hunting clothes come out with major static. When I don’t use. No static.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I’ll try the scent thief I was using scent shield this morning and had 2 young bucks and 2 does come in down wind a 6 point stayed at the feeder and ate and the other buck and 2 does stayed back in thick stuff but I think the reason they ran off was a doe seen me maybe she smelled me I’m not sure I usually don’t hunt that blind with a north wind

·
Super Moderator
11,573 Posts
I’ve had no issues with the Dead down wind dryer sheets. I usually use 2 per load. I use the washer soap and body wash.
I’ve tried the sport wash many times and did notice it kept my clothes from fading.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I'm a big believer in the Dead Downwind laundry detergent, odor elimination spray, and body wash. I used scent killer for 10-12 years and feel I've gotten winded less with the DDW. That said, I also have a bar of Duke Cannon soap called "Big Ass Bar of Hunting Soap" it's a huge bar I've used for two seasons, supposed to be scent free. It seems to work as well as the dead Downwind from field experience and doesn't dry out my skin as bad. My parents got it for me as a gag gift and jokes on them, it works really well as part of my scent control routine.

Things that don't work, from my experience: any commercial cover scent, I've been winded moreso when using them than without them. I've never had Tinks 69 lure anything in for me either in 17 years of hunting either.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Personally, I don’t use any kind of scent killer, eliminator, or cover, and it’s worked for me for many years.
I’ve got a friend that won’t hunt without an ozonics machine in the stand with him, and he only hunts in freaking box stands 100-150 yards away from his feeders.

I wash my clothes in whatever cheap laundry detergent my wife brings home, I don’t use dryer sheets, and I kill a buck big enough to warrant a taxidermy bill on a relatively consistent basis.🤷🏼‍♂️

To be honest though, I do think that the deer in farming and cattle country are less sensitive to human odor than other locales.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts