Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
2,831 Posts
Doesn’t work worth anything in my area. Guess the deer already have all they need. Not saying it wouldn’t be a good attractant and beneficial for deer herds in other places just not in my area. If these guys have hunted the property for several years and they suggest you do it then it might be worth a try. Plus you get a trip to the lease and all those bass ponds, or maybe turn it into a pig hunt!

· Premium Member
707 Posts
Well, the ponds are cold right now and the fish aren't biting. And other than one hog, they are not showing up right now.

That one hog only shows up at the same feeder morning and night on days that I am not sitting on the blind.

Plant Tree Grass Carnivore Tower

I think he may be coming into the feeder from the direction of where I park my truck. I think I may change that location--parking spot that is.

I guessed this hogs weight at 180lb last month until I talked to Diggler. I revised that guess down to 120. I am thinking he may have actually reached that figure now, eating my corn.

Plant Tree Carnivore Natural landscape Grass

The land owner is complaining about the hogs tearing up his pastures and pond dams and would like us to remove them.

Since this is a thread about mineral supplements and protein for deer. Will hogs go after these supplements?

· Registered
483 Posts
Here's a recipe from bowsite.com and many have said it's great for deer. No mention if hogs will get to it but I bet they will too.

"I always buy 50 lbs bag of dicalcium phosphate, 50 lbs bag of trace mineral salt, bag of powdered molasses. I dig a 3 ft hole wide and about 18 inches deep. I chop up the dirt really good, shovel in the ingredients with dirt 1 shovel full at a time. I mix it up really good and keep doing it until the hole is filled back up."

· Registered
1,650 Posts
I mix 50lbs of Dicalcium phosphate 50lbs of mineral and 100lbs of salt. Works well. Get most of my early season buck pics of the mineral sites. Does seem to hit it hard too.
Your place isn’t too far from mine, but I guess the soil composition must be different. We’ve tried all kinds of mineral mixtures for years and never found anything the deer will even slow down for. The north 40 acres of my place is mostly alkaline soil.
Here‘s a picture of what it looks like.
Wheel Tire Sky Cloud Vehicle

· Registered
412 Posts
Your place isn’t too far from mine, but I guess the soil composition must be different. We’ve tried all kinds of mineral mixtures for years and never found anything the deer will even slow down for. The north 40 acres of my place is mostly alkaline soil.

Here‘s a picture of what it looks like.

You may have enough naturally occurring salt in the area so they may not be interested

· Administrator
16,297 Posts
I'm in Grant County. Over the years, I've tried everything under the sun for a mineral supplement and deer won't even look at it.
Yet 25 miles or so as the crow flies to the southeast, a buddy puts out deer cocaine by digging a hole, lining it with some plastic,(hole in the bottom to drain) then mixing the soil with the supplement to be put back in the hole. He put it in late spring with the deer never touching it all season untill the following year when they had licked it up in a mound like a small mountain. They licked on that thing until nothing was left after a couple years.
Some need the supplement, and some don't evidently.

· Registered
1,650 Posts
Asking from a point of ignorance... how about mixing just a little, a cup or two of corn when making these mineral pits as visual attractant? Surely they will see the corn and get a taste of the minerals when they go for the corn.
It definitely won’t hurt anything, but if they need or want the mineral, I don’t think it would be necessary.

· Registered
26 Posts
It has been suggested that I buy a 50 lb bag of minerals and salt. Dig 3 or 4 holes around my feeder. Pour the minerals and salt in the holes cover it. The deer will find it and dig it out. It was suggested I do this in the next month or two and do this once a year.

Thoughts?
I mix 100lbs of trace mineral salt with 50lbs of whatever general purpose livestock mineral I can find at TSC or Atwoods. I just dump it directly on the ground and then use a shovel to spade it into the soil. I do this in spring or early summer and the deer hit it hard, which from what I understand is because they need salt due to the high amounts of water they're taking in from grasses and other plants. Not sure how effective it would be if there was a severe drought, but it always works for me in Okfuskee county.

· Registered
483 Posts
I mix 100lbs of trace mineral salt with 50lbs of whatever general purpose livestock mineral I can find at TSC or Atwoods. I just dump it directly on the ground and then use a shovel to spade it into the soil. I do this in spring or early summer and the deer hit it hard, which from what I understand is because they need salt due to the high amounts of water they're taking in from grasses and other plants. Not sure how effective it would be if there was a severe drought, but it always works for me in Okfuskee county.
Another Okfuskee County hunter....welcome!

· Administrator
16,297 Posts
Another Okfuskee County hunter....welcome!
Used to be every one we got as a new member was from the Lawton area, now it’s Okfuskee county. Lol.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts