Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you get your red dot illuminated scoped crossbow out first thing in the morning to see if it’s still sighted in from last year be sure to turn your scope off when you are done shooting it. Otherwise you might decide to go hunt later that evening and after sneaking into your blind trying not to sweat like a fat man in a sauna and find yourself presented with an easy 25 yard broadside shot at a very nice buck only to realize your battery is dead because you didn’t turn it off. Just saying! This has been your crossbow PSA for this week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
I been fixing to order one of those for mine just haven’t done it I just can’t see the crosshairs in mine but that sounds like my luck also

·
Administrator
14,407 Posts
I keep packs of those 2032 batteries in my truck, shooting bag, and hunting bag. I'm terrible about remembering to turn them off.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Not to hijack but when I was 16 I watched 5 really nice bucks and had them patterned I practiced every day after school till dark Saturday morning I got in the tree and knocked my arrow not paying attention the bucks came down the trail at 18 yards I was shaking so bad the arrow was rattling I went to draw and noticed I still had field points on they got downwind and blew and took off I never seen them again

·
Administrator
14,407 Posts
Not to hijack but when I was 16 I watched 5 really nice bucks and had them patterned I practiced every day after school till dark Saturday morning I got in the tree and knocked my arrow not paying attention the bucks came down the trail at 18 yards I was shaking so bad the arrow was rattling I went to draw and noticed I still had field points on they got downwind and blew and took off I never seen them again
I see this becoming a thread of sorrows.....;)

·
Super Moderator
11,429 Posts
I
I once was shooting my blue rage practice mechanicals at the range and forgot to swap them back for the real thing and didn’t know it until the sun came up and I’m a mile from the truck sitting on a pond. Glad no deer came in that morning.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Back when I shot a compound I forgot my release more than once. I would undo the Velcro then wrap it around my grip but before leaving my truck I’d take it off so I could grab my bow by the grip for the walk in. I’d set it in the seat of the truck and walk right off with out it.

·
Administrator
14,407 Posts
I was in the stand with my .270 Win, when a wall hanger buck walked down the tree row 200+ yds away. Got a good sight picture, pulled the trigger, and got a click.
Magazine was empty. Left my ammo home.
Dumped the back pack on the floor of the blind in a rage, finding one bullet.
By this time the deer was over 400 yards away with a strong north wind.
Whistled causing the buck to stop and turn broadside. Didn't adjust for the wind but the buck went down like a sack o taters.
Getting out there where he fell, there was no deer, no blood. Lots of grass broken with a big flat trail through the CRP grass where something had been dragged. No blood still.
Finally caught up with the buck that had been shot through both hocks taking out the back legs. It was fully healthy otherwise dragging itself by its front feet.
Armed with only a 6" buck special fixed blade knife, that was the only way this deer was going down and the deer was having no part of it. That sucker could move on those front legs.
When he finally got into some heavy buck brush, I jumped on him grabbing the antlers in one hand and trying to cut the throat with the other. That didn't work so well. Deer hide is pretty tough and the knife didn't cut through it. Pretty good fight ensued before figuring out I needed to plunge the knife in and then cut.
Took a couple tries before the struggle ended. Not sure who ended up the worst for wear, but he is on my wall now.
I was about 25 years younger then as well. No way I'd try that crap now.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I keep packs of those 2032 batteries in my truck, shooting bag, and hunting bag. I'm terrible about remembering to turn them off.
I bought a pack last spring to go in my trucks console and within a month I had to replace the batteries in 2 key fobs and my red dot on top of my 10/22. That left me 1 extra and I can’t find it anywhere. Ohh well. On the walk out I tried to do a good job of telling myself that I really didn’t want to shoot that deer any way. It’s too hot to hang one, it would’ve been a job getting it to where I could’ve loaded it, had just washed all my camo and sprayed it down today etc etc. etc. I didn’t end up convincing myself of anything other than I was a dumb$#s for leaving my scope on.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Did you see the story about the Doctor they found dead below his stand with a crossbow bolt in his leg? It sure would be hard to shoot your own leg. I’m guessing he fell and landed on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did you see the story about the Doctor they found dead below his stand with a crossbow bolt in his leg? It sure would be hard to shoot your own leg. I’m guessing he fell and landed on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes I did. That had to suck. I always said I'd much rather be shot by a bullet than an arrow with a broad head

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
635 Posts
Some dumb butt I know went to hunt with his crossbow this morning. Game camera shows him pushing two deer past the camera about four minutes before he got to his stand.

Then he was doing a dry run on sighting in, made movement with his bow...sat back and relaxed only to hear a deer alert. Looked over to see the doe that was coming in running off...at least it was a doe. There were five does there yesterday morning, and will probably have zero for the next couple days.

It was me, I was the dumb butt.

·
Registered
307 Posts
That’s actually one of the possible scenarios my wife talks about happening to me when I’m at my OK place by myself, but she adds in coyotes eating on me after I’m dead. I keep telling her that if it happens I died where I wanted to be doing what I wanted to be doing. Unfortunately, that doesn’t give her any comfort.

·
Super Moderator
11,429 Posts
Many people still load up the crossbow on the ground and then hoist it up with a bolt loaded. I’m glad my bow has a fail safe for dry fires. I’ll load it up before climbing then put a bolt in place once situated in the stand. Depending on the size of the platform I’ve cocked it many times from up in the tree.
I wonder how many hoist it by the front with a loaded bolt pointing at them the whole way up. Bouncing and banging off the tree just waiting for a limb or something to catch the trigger and set it off.
I hoist mine from the back. Have it set against the tree ready to pull up.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Many people still load up the crossbow on the ground and then hoist it up with a bolt loaded. I’m glad my bow has a fail safe for dry fires. I’ll load it up before climbing then put a bolt in place once situated in the stand. Depending on the size of the platform I’ve cocked it many times from up in the tree.
I wonder how many hoist it by the front with a loaded bolt pointing at them the whole way up. Bouncing and banging off the tree just waiting for a limb or something to catch the trigger and set it off.
I hoist mine from the back. Have it set against the tree ready to pull up.
I do cock my crossbow on the ground, but I never load it until I’m situated in my stand.

When I took my daughter up to my OK place in 2016, we had a deer stand malfunction, and I fell about 8 feet off the ladder. My daughter was already in the stand, and it scared her pretty bad. It actually didn’t hurt me at all.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
I do cock my crossbow on the ground, but I never load it until I’m situated in my stand.

When I took my daughter up to my OK place in 2016, we had a deer stand malfunction, and I fell about 8 feet off the ladder. My daughter was already in the stand, and it scared her pretty bad. It actually didn’t hurt me at all.
What happened ?

·
Administrator
14,407 Posts
I can cock mine in the stand or on the ground since I use a crank. Typically, I cock it when leaving the vehicle with a bolt loaded if its during legal shooting hours just in case a deer is jumped and wants to die on the spot.
Unload the bolt and pull it up to the stand with the rear of the stock first.
I too almost took a spill just like Retreiverman did with the legs sinking into the dirt. Since, there is a piece of pressure treated wood under the bottom of the ladder to prevent that happening in the future with stakes on each side to keep it from moving.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts