Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Native Pa/Oh resident here. I am making a spur of the moment trip to visit an old friend in Tulsa for the next 4 days. As an avid turkey hunter (i.e. our season doesn't start until May 1st) I figured what the heck I would give it a try.

I fly in today and plan to start this quest tomorrow. I have been doing a pile of research the last few days but honestly there isn't the amount of forum posts regarding public land as some other states I have hunted (i.e. this may be intentional haha)

I have talked with a few people who hunt there regularly and fully aware the population is pretty bad. Honestly not looking to kill something but would just like to have birds to chase around the whole weekend.

We are pretty open to going just about anywhere in the state and may some OLAP properties to avoid crowds. Not looking for anyone's sweet spot but did notice a few people recently post public land success stories which is a positive to bring into the situation.

Completely understand if no one responds but thanks for any advice in advance. Also could slip a nice gift card for a steakhouse to anyone willing to help us find some private that may be better than public lol.

Jared

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you check the Hunter’s Toolbox on our DNR website you can see the amount of birds harvested on public land or by county.
That is the best place to start.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you check the Hunter’s Toolbox on our DNR website you can see the amount of birds harvested on public land or by county.
That is the best place to start.
Pretty cool tool. Am I missing something though it seemed to suggest only 4000 ish birds were killed statewide? That seems insanely low coming from a state with harvest in the 40,000 range. Is there just a disproportional amount of hunters or is it really that bad?

·
Administrator
13,758 Posts
Numbers are really down this year. Actually been in decline for a couple of years now.
The wildlife dept has reduced the number of birds that can be taken in some counties.
Kaw Lake in the North Central part of the state is a Corps of Engineer property that has decent numbers. Most folks go out at night driving the roads, stopping occasionally to let out a shock gobble. If anything answers, set up on it the next morning.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Numbers are really down this year. Actually been in decline for a couple of years now.
The wildlife dept has reduced the number of birds that can be taken in some counties.
Kaw Lake in the North Central part of the state is a Corps of Engineer property that has decent numbers. Most folks go out at night driving the roads, stopping occasionally to let out a shock gobble. If anything answers, set up on it the next morning.
Thanks for the information. I will actually be staying in OKC so KAW is not to far away and was in consideration. It does look fairly large though. Honestly I come from a state that has a (1) bird per state limit so the idea that you can shot one bird per county gives me faith that the population may not be as bad as it sounds.

·
Super Moderator
10,686 Posts
Welcome to Oklahoma Hunter.

James Collins WMA has lots of birds. It’s ESE of OKC near McAllister.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome to Oklahoma Hunter.

James Collins WMA has lots of birds. It’s ESE of OKC near McAllister.
Would you recommend this over Cherokee WMA? I am flying in to Tulsa tonight and we planned on hunting Cherokee in the morning but if James Collins would be a better venture it may make sense to go there.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
The far north east end of Kaw up Big Beaver Creek has a decent population birds. Saw them yesterday helping neighbor move some cattle. His south property line borders the north end of Kaw WMA. If you go you want to be north of the east/west county road.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The far north east end of Kaw up Big Beaver Creek has a decent population birds. Saw them yesterday helping neighbor move some cattle. His south property line borders the north end of Kaw WMA. If you go you want to be north of the east/west county road.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You have no idea how much I appreciate the information. Are you speaking of County Road 4500?

·
Super Moderator
10,686 Posts
Would you recommend this over Cherokee WMA? I am flying in to Tulsa tonight and we planned on hunting Cherokee in the morning but if James Collins would be a better venture it may make sense to go there.
I’ve never been to Cherokee. Hunted JC in spring of 19 for my sons youth hunt. Lots of birds. Just couldn’t close the deal as a bad rain storm flooded things out.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
You have no idea how much I appreciate the information. Are you speaking of County Road 4500?
County road 4600. It turns into Canteen road farther west. The birds we saw would be where I circled on this OnX screen shot

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
10,686 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts