Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody ever use one of those pull behind mowers for an atv or lawn tractor? I was thinking about purchasing one to cut a trail through some 5 ft. tall grass. They are about $1k and that's cheaper than a tractor :) . Thanks for any info you guys might have.

·
Administrator
13,594 Posts
They will work pretty good as long as you don't try to use it like a brush hog. Brush hogs have blades that swing on impact with a tree or rock. Most of the trail mowers are connected directly to the crankshaft of the engine, and you stand a chance of bending the crank if you hit something hard. They are designed for finish mowing, unless your looking at one I'm not familiar with.
I have seen some ads on tv about a self propelled walk behind mower that was cutting thru 2" trees, and 6' johnson grass. I think the brand was DR

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info Dennis. The odds are that I would definately end up hitting something. It's some
pretty thick river bottom land I am looking at here. I might just have to put some blood, sweat, and
tears in and do some serious weedeating.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well i ended up buying a swisher 44 inch cut with 11 hp motor on it. Got one for $475 off craigslist and it was well worth it. It works as good as a brush hog. I cut some good trails through some 6-8 ft high thickness. I'll post some in a new thread to show the results.

·
Administrator
13,594 Posts
Good deal! I'm glad it worked out for you. ;D

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
Ain't it funny how even mowing isn't a chore when ya got's a new mower!!!

·
Administrator
13,594 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts