Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One if the reasons I retired from the Marines was that my body was coming apart on me after years of abuse. Pulling my bow back became a lot more of a hassle over the last year. Tried to take a few practice shots two days ago and now have issues with my better shoulder since.

Gave it up yesterday and bought an Excalibur Suppressor 400 TD. Damn sure didn't want to spend that kind of money, but this is going to be the only way I get those extra two months of chasing a big buck from now on. Didn't figure I'd give up 'bow' hunting completely, so buy once, cry once.

Found a monster shed at my new food plot location as I was prepping the ground last week. Hopefully I can put my new investment to work this upcoming season.

Smile Plant People in nature Sleeve Tree

·
Administrator
14,234 Posts
Heck of a shed. Is it this year or last year? Never the less, you have a great buck roaming the area.
I had to go the crossbow route a few years back after rupturing a bicep tendon on my draw arm.
Is yours the recurve model or a compound?

Reactions: diggler1833

·
Super Moderator
11,253 Posts
The mule deer around town are still sporting head gear. Nice gnarly looking shed.
I got a Ten point X-bow about 10 years ago. Killed a bunch of critters with it and happy I got it. You will find hunting with you X-bow enjoyable.

Attachments

·
Registered
333 Posts
Nice shed. I had to go the crossbow route this year because of bad shoulders. I hear you its a lot of money but if you love archery hunting it will still get you in the stand. I bought the Ten Point Vapor. Dont regret it at all. Took two deer with it this last season.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Nice shed. I had to go the crossbow route this year because of bad shoulders. I hear you its a lot of money but if you love archery hunting it will still get you in the stand. I bought the Ten Point Vapor. Dont regret it at all. Took two deer with it this last season.
I had to go the crossbow route about 10 years ago due to a torn muscle in my right arm that I didn’t get repaired, and my crossbow has become my primary “weapon” for deer hunting. I started with a used Excalibur recurve and now use a Bowtech/Excalibur collaboration compound bow. My crossbows have accounted for 3 of my 4 bucks over 170”.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow! That’s a nice shed. From the picture, it looks fresh, but that sure looks like a lot of chew marks for one that was just dropped.
Yeah...its a little brown for being last years.

Interestingly, I found a ton of bones in the ash after I burned it. I'm starting to think that the coyotes like to drag stuff over there. However that location is ~ 500 yards from the nearest property crossing (for game...this area is surrounded by a deep creek that no coyote is going to swim with bones).

·
Administrator
14,234 Posts
It's going to be recurve.
That's what mine is. I actually prefer the recurve because a broken string can be replaced in the field. I drew a hunt at McAlester Army Ammunition Depot three years ago.
I pulled the X bow up while focused on the deer in the scope and didn't see the limb sticking into the path the string would be taking when I shot. It broke the string.
Took about an hour to change the string out and resight so I could get back into the field. If it had been a compound the hunt would have been over.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's what mine is. I actually prefer the recurve because a broken string can be replaced in the field. I drew a hunt at McAlester Army Ammunition Depot three years ago.
I pulled the X bow up while focused on the deer in the scope and didn't see the limb sticking into the path the string would be taking when I shot. It broke the string.
Took about an hour to change the string out and resight so I could get back into the field. If it had been a compound the hunt would have been over.
Part of the kit I purchased includes a replacement string and stringing tool. Granted, I'm only going to be hunting a ten minute walk from the house, but like you I don't want to miss a day of hunting due to an equipment malfunction.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Very Nice, Hope he is around for you to get a shot. I had to which to cross-bow too. I can still shot a compound but not without paying for it later.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm currently hunting with a cheap compound crossbow, but have owned several Excaliburs and there's something to be said for their simplicity. Some people complain about the width, but I never found it to be an issue while hunting out of a tree.

·
Administrator
14,234 Posts
I'm currently hunting with a cheap compound crossbow, but have owned several Excaliburs and there's something to be said for their simplicity. Some people complain about the width, but I never found it to be an issue while hunting out of a tree.
That seems to be the only complaint about the Excilibur. I have a shoulder strap on mine and it's pretty easy to turn a bit sideways and go through the thickest woods one can walk through without any issue.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts